United Kingdom
Joined 5628 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 1 of 2
08 February 2012 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone

I was reading up about prefixes/suffixes in English and I started to think about
Spanish ones. After browsing the net for a while, I found quite a few sites (some good,
some bad) but one really stuck out that I thought I'd share.

Here's a link to a list that someone made into a pdf and uploaded (it's not mine):

Here

The 1st list on the file is alright but a bit obvious (as they're very similar to their
English-Greek/Latin equivalents) whereas the 2nd list is where it really shines.
Obviously this is no way to learn a language properly as there's no context/clue as to
how they function but it is quite an interesting way to build your vocab and get a
better look at the language.

I checked out the site where it was from (it's on the bottom of the file). It was ok
but I thought this was the only really useful thing. About.com also had some useful
lists as well so try that if you fancy. I found some much smaller French ones on
About.com however Wikitionary (the English or Spanish version, can't remember) had a
big list (but had not great examples).

Does anyone have any more lists of Suffixes/Prefixes (or other -ixes) for Spanish or
other languages?

Edited by crafedog on 08 February 2012 at 2:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 2
09 February 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Nope, but I'd find most interesting to use this is as a base to make a shared multilingual one in a GoogleDoc spreadsheet, for example. A lot of this stuff must be common to many languages, in particular European ones. For example, I'd never had thought about Spanish '-voro' as a suffix, but it obviously comes from Latin (or Greek? I'm unclear right now) 'vorax' -> 'voracious' -> English '-vorous' which elegantly closes the circle through etymology.

Any volunteers?

Edited by mrwarper on 09 February 2012 at 2:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version