Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Me quedo or Me estoy quedando en espanol?

Tags: Spanish
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
endation
Triglot
United States
mattgrabermusic.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6109 days ago

28 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew, Spanish
Studies: French, German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 9
08 February 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Let's say that you're at a restaurant and the person behind the counter says "Para aqui?," asking if you want to stay and eat the food there. You could, of course, just say "Si, para aqui," but let's say that you wanted to say the English equivalent of "Yes, I'm staying here." Does it sound more natural to a native speaker to say "Si, me quedo aqui" or "Si, me estoy quedando aqui?"

I have a feeling that it's "me quedo," but I'm curious because this would be the opposite of English (you wouldn't say, "Yes, I stay here.").

Gracias!
1 person has voted this message useful

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5456 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 9
08 February 2012 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I guess "Para aqui" is part of the common expression "para aqui o para llevar?". You can not say "Si, me estoy quedando aqui" (unless it´s the hotel restaurant and the guy is asking you if you are a guest). Anyway I think any response besides "para aqui" would be weird.
4 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 3 of 9
09 February 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Without any more context, there's definitely something weird about that question 'para aquí?' -- I'm not clear if you're asking 'are you eating it here?' (standard Spanish, 'para' = for,) or 'are you staying here (to eat it)?' (Latin American idiomatic Spanish, 'para' = 3rd person singular of 'parar' = 'quedarse').

One way or another, the Spanish equivalent of 'I'm staying here' would be 'me quedo aquí', or even better 'me voy a quedar aquí' or 'me quedaré aquí', and never 'me estoy quedando aquí' -- this would imply you've already been staying there for a few days and you're staying a bit more.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 9
09 February 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
endation wrote:
(...)let's say that you wanted to say the English equivalent of "Yes, I'm staying here." Does it sound more natural to a native speaker to say "Si, me quedo aqui" or "Si, me estoy quedando aqui?"

I have a feeling that it's "me quedo," but I'm curious because this would be the opposite of English (you wouldn't say, "Yes, I stay here.").

I'm told that (English) learners of Spanish overuse the -ing-tense. Another discussion about it here:

Using the gerund in Spanish
2 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 9
09 February 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Native speakers of English overuse even the English -ing tense:

I'm feeling fine.
I'm loving it.

The list of verbs that cannot be used with continuous tenses is shrinking dramatically.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 09 February 2012 at 1:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

endation
Triglot
United States
mattgrabermusic.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6109 days ago

28 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew, Spanish
Studies: French, German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 9
09 February 2012 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I'm told that (English) learners of Spanish overuse the -ing-tense. Another discussion about it here:

Using the gerund in Spanish

Thanks for the link. It's interesting to see how different languages use this present progressive (continuous) tense differently. In English it always gets used to describe something that you're doing right now (e.g. you can't say I eat now to mean I'm eating now), in Spanish it's used but not as often, and then there are languages where the tense doesn't exist at all (Hebrew, for example. I think it's the same in Russian and Arabic, among others, but I could be wrong.)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 7 of 9
09 February 2012 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
endation wrote:
It's interesting to see how different languages use this present progressive (continuous) tense differently. In English it always gets used to describe something that you're doing right now (e.g. you can't say I eat now to mean I'm eating now), in Spanish it's used but not as often

Actually I'd say it's a bit different. It's in Spanish where the gerund always refers to ongoing (continuous, unfinished) actions. In English, be + ing can describe two kinds of actions:
1) A continuous, ongoing action
2) An action that will take place in a (subjectively) near future
f.ex. "I'm doing X (right now)" vs "I'm doing it in a minute" (so it's not always 1).

In Spanish 1 is expressed through the equivalent structure just like in English, but 2 is usually expressed with the present simple (f.ex. "voy en un minuto") and not with a continuous tense.

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6453 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 9
10 February 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
Native speakers of English overuse even the English -ing tense:

I'm feeling fine.
I'm loving it.

The list of verbs that cannot be used with continuous tenses is shrinking dramatically.

What do you mean, "overuse"? As a native speaker, your two examples sound perfectly fine.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version