Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
HMS
England
Joined 4917 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 3
10 February 2012 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Could somebody please translate the writing on this flag?
Thankyou.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/hmskris/7515060.jpg
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6759 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 3
10 February 2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
I went over this with a native speaker in his 20s, and he had a hard time making out
all these old kanji with Chinese-derived idioms that aren't in widespread use anymore.

Across the top (written from right to left) says 武運長久, which my dictionaries
translate as "Continued luck in the fortunes of war" or "May God prosper your arms".

The large message on the right side says 祈、奮闘 which means "we pray for success in
your struggle".

All the smaller messages are hard to read. The one in the upper left says 武勇 "heroic"
(with perhaps a name signed next to it), the one below that says 祝連戦連勝 "celebrating
successive victories". The one below that is a cursive script that's hard to read. The
one in the lower-left corner says 祝入営 "congratulations on your recruitment". The
one on the bottom center is probably 忠君愛国 "loyalty to your ruler and love of your
country". On the bottom right corner there are actually 3 messages close together; the
rightmost one we can't read, the middle one says 英米をうて "beat England and America",
and the leftmost one probably says 忠勇義烈 "loyalty, bravery, and heroism".

Anyway, it seems to be a flag signed with lots of patriotic messsages and given as a
gift to a new recruit who was about to go to war.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 10 February 2012 at 2:29pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

HMS
England
Joined 4917 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 3
10 February 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Thankyou very much!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version