Joined 4728 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 16
13 February 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Everything wrote:

Quote:
Not sure what book you are referring to when you say Korean Essential Vocabulary
for Beginners.

My mistake, it's Korean Essential Vocabulary for Foreigners :
http://www.hanbooks.com/koesvo60forf.html
Thanks. Do you know where can I see some samples of these books, I would like to know
how it looks like. I mean, not just the cover.

1. The Korean Essential Vocabulary book would be useful as a dictionary, and any recordings would probably be
only words or possibly sentences; probably no conversation.

2. Not sure where you can see samples of any of the insides of the books (T.T)

Everything wrote:
I'm trying to download the Korean Made Easy MP3 at
http://www.darakwon.co.kr/koreanbo
oks/main.html
but it doesn't work (get a pop-up that doesn't show anything).
Anybody know how to find it ?

I bet you this is most likely due to the fact that its a Korean website. Which means you probably need Internet
Explorer 6 and will have to download some Active X controls before you can download them, ha ha ha. For those
who are trying to get it to work, I'll give it a try with my special netbook that I brought to Korea solely for the
usage of Korean websites (isn't that sad). Just give me a day or so and I'll report back. (^_^)

Edited for addition of information

Edited by 이희선 on 13 February 2012 at 12:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Everything
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4460 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 16
13 February 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Well, I found a sample of Korean Made Easy. Not just a sample but the first 4 chapters. I
wanted to download the whole book but I can't find it :P

Where can I buy it ?
Hanbooks is too expensive with shipping (22$].
I live in Europe...

Edited by Everything on 13 February 2012 at 1:13pm

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5988 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 16
13 February 2012 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
이희선 wrote:
I bet you this is most likely due to the fact that its a Korean website. Which means you probably need Internet
Explorer 6 and will have to download some Active X controls before you can download them, ha ha ha. For those
who are trying to get it to work, I'll give it a try with my special netbook that I brought to Korea solely for the
usage of Korean websites (isn't that sad). Just give me a day or so and I'll report back. (^_^)

Oh no ...
You mean to tell me that not only does Korea have the most confusing language in the world, but also the most
confusing internet as well?!?!?! ;-)

Everything- where did you find the first 4 chapters of the book?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Everything
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4460 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 

Message 12 of 16
13 February 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

http://www.filestube.com/3DIK7VFE4dePTef5a1mDB4/Korean-Made- Easy-for-Beginners.html
3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 13 of 16
14 February 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
이희선 wrote:
1. The Korean Essential Vocabulary book would be useful as a dictionary, and any recordings would probably be
only words or possibly sentences; probably no conversation.

I have the Korean Essential Vocabulary book. It is ok, but in my opinion Survival Korean Vocabulary (which is based on the same word list) is much better. The advantages of KEV6000 are that it is very inexpensive and is a very small, thus more portable, book. SKV, however, has example sentences (not for all words, but for a very large number of them), usage tips (including differentiating the meanings of some synonyms), and is grouped by topic (not a simple alpha-sort like KEV, though SKV has an alphabet index in the back, so you can still do lookups easily). Both include audio (KEV via downloaded MP3s, SKV via included CD). I've listened to the audio from KEV (which is a Korean lady reading each word on the page one-by-one; one page = one MP3 file), but have no idea what is on the SKV CD. I own both of these and use both, but if I could only recommend one it would be SKV in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Explorer 6 and will have to download some Active X controls before you can download them, ha ha ha.

This is sadly a very accurate assessment of most Korean websites. If you have IE, it should work fine; otherwise, no promises.

RE: The original list of books: Other than KEV6000, the only book on that list I've used is "Survival Korean" (and the related "Survival Korean Basic Grammar"). Survival Korean (the green book) is a good beginner book and overall I would recommend it. Each chapter starts with a dialog written in Korean (한글 only) and English along with a second English version that contains a more literal translation. Afterward they cover the vocabulary and grammar points that were used in that dialog, give a short list of bonus (related) vocabulary, then have a couple pages of exercises. The book is written in such a way that the dialogs in the book follow a guy named John as he arrives in Korea, meets up with a Korean friend, eats, shops, etc.

The only real complaint I have about SK is that I feel it is too short. If you like Stephen Revere's style, though, he and Lisa Kelley hosted two seasons of an Arirang TV series called "Let's Speak Korean" that covers a lot more information than his two books cover. SK followed by LSK (which has a total of 260 ten minute episodes for those two seasons) would be a great start in the language.

Somewhere along your studies (but not so much at the start, since this book is far more useful when you hit the high-beginner to intermediate range) I would strongly recommend the book "Using Korean" as well.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5988 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 16
14 February 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Everything wrote:
Quote:

http://www.filestube.com/3DIK7VFE4dePTef5a1mDB4/Korean-Made- Easy-for-Beginners.html

Yeah! 감사합니다! I'll check it out!

Everything
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4460 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 

Message 15 of 16
15 February 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Well, another question :

Where can I buy a printed version of FSI Korean ?
I know the course is freely available on the internet but reading on a computer is a no-
no. So...

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5988 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 16 of 16
15 February 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Everything wrote:
Well, another question :

Where can I buy a printed version of FSI Korean ?
I know the course is freely available on the internet but reading on a computer is a no-
no. So...

Search for a used copy of Barron's Mastering Korean. I got one online from amazon for 0.99! No joke!
& while the print quality isn't quite as good as the FSI version - it is worth saving $25 to me. You can find some
FSI versions floating around the used book stores on the net as well but they are priced much higher than the
Barron's version.

Alternatively you can bring the pdf file to a copy/print shop and have them make you a copy. I know several
people have done this but I don't know the cost off hand.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version