Diglot
Croatia
Joined 4517 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 2
11 February 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
I'm looking for advices on what German learning materials to study next. First let me
give some additional background, other than the message topic. I had been learning
German for 4 years in high-school, but never was really interested in the language, so
hadn't learned much. Currently, things have changed and I wish to improve my German as
much as I can.

I've finished Pimsleur's (German I, II, III, Plus) and Michel Thomas' (Foundation,
Advanced, Builder, Vocab) German courses and I was really impressed how much I
improved. In addition to Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, I have been watching every day
German series for 40 minutes.

I know Pimsleur and Michel Thomas don't teach you some important grammar stuff, but I
don't have problems with that since I have that knowledge from high-school. I know
things like article, adjective, noun and pronoun declensions; I know the scholastic
rules how tenses like present, future, preterite and subjunctive preterite tenses are
formed, etc.

I also plan to take German lessons this semester, and I've already taken an exam to
evaluate my German knowledge. The teacher pleaced me at a B2.2 group (there are B2.1,
B2.2 and B2.3 courses).

So, I know some, and what's the problem? The thing I really lack, and what made me open
this topic, is vocabulary and declension. When I try thinking in my head in German, I
get stuck on words that I find common (those that weren't mentioned in Pimsleur and
MT). What about the declensions? Well, I KNOW the rules, but they aren't "natural" to
me yet, if you know what I mean. I still have problems when I need to think in real-
time. When I have time to sit back and think the whole sentence
out, there's no problem, but when I try to speak (or talk in my head :D), I get
frustrated on how many mistakes I make. Even though I know the rules, I mix up the
articles, adjective endings, etc.

Is there a course that will give me more knowledge of vocabulary and make more precise
with declensions? Oh, btw, something that has revisions would be nice. I really didn't
like MT Builder and Vocab because the words were introduced and never repeated after
that. There's no recall, like in Pimsleur and MT Foundation and Advanced. Is there such
a thing I'm looking for at all?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by -Bobo- on 11 February 2012 at 12:41am

1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4498 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 2 of 2
11 February 2012 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
I'd recommend the Deutsche Welle courses, and probably GermanPod101.
I'm using JapanesePod101 on and off (free version), and it taught me a lot.
Not doing it right now, as I'm almost exclusively working on vocabulary and listening comprehension.

P.S.: You have to repeat the lessons to get enough exposure to have the words stick in mind. Only Pimsleur has SRS in audio format, to my knowledge.. and then there was some freeware tool that enables you to build your own Pimsleur style audio courses, but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted and deleted it again... Gradint was the name.

Edited by atama warui on 11 February 2012 at 4:07am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version