IronFist
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 1 of 22
11 February 2012 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
My only exposure to this was in 6th grade when our teacher gave us list of Hieroglyphics, each with a corresponding English letter next to them, and we had to write our names in Hieroglyphics.

I'm almost entirely positive that real Hieroglyphics works nothing like that, and the exercise was just for fun because we were all little kids and thought ancient Egypt was cool, and it's not like anyone actually knew that language so no one would raise their hand and be like "this is wrong."

I remember reading somewhere that it's super impossible to learn and there are only a few people in the world who can read stuff written in Hieroglyphics and it takes them a long time because they have to look everything up. Is that just because it's so old that everything has to be translated indirectly?

Can someone give me Cliffs Notes on this language?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6342 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 22
11 February 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
I'm almost entirely positive that real Hieroglyphics works nothing like that, and the exercise was just for fun because we were all little kids and thought ancient Egypt was cool, and it's not like anyone actually knew that language so no one would raise their hand and be like "this is wrong."

Why do you say that? As far as I know, hieroglyphs were used both as picto/ideograms and for their phonetic value, so equating one glyph with one English letter might not have been an exact translation, of course, but if you wanted to write your name in hieroglyphs, that's probably pretty much what you'd need to do. Except that you'd have to watch out for silent letters and the like. Oh, and hieroglyphic writing is an abjad, so the vowels aren't written. And often consonants are reduplicated, and multi-consonant characters are used. So I guess you're right, it doesn't really work like that at all.

I think Assimil has an Ancient Egyptian course with a French base, though I don't know whether or not it teaches hieroglyphs.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind, just read the Wikipedia article. It looks pretty good.

Edited by Ari on 11 February 2012 at 9:55am

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5359 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 22
11 February 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Quote:
though I don't know whether or not it teaches hieroglyphs

It does teach them. I think, the Assimil course may be more accessible for bloody beginners than more academic, though utterly excellent and didactic works like Middle Egyptien by James Allen.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 22
11 February 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Is Hieroglyphics/ancient Egyptian hard?

Not if you use Rosetta Stone.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 5 of 22
11 February 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently studying the Assimil beginner's course for a bit of fun on the side (which is great as it comes with audio CDs as well - although pronunciation is of course theoretical and largely based on liturgical Coptic), and previously used Collier and Manley's excellent "How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs" along with some web resources back in 2010. Although it's no piece of cake, I think it's well within the capabilities of most people to learn Middle Egyptian hieroglyphics...it's just a lot of hard work, that's all.

As Ari rightly points out, there are many facets to reading hieroglyphics, including pictograms, duplicated sounds, morphological markers, and determinatives (signs that give you a clue to the overall context of the word). Therefore it might help to think of Egyptian hieroglyphics as a mixture of languages like Japanese (which uses a mixture of kanji and kana) and Arabic (a related Semitic language that has a similarly rich and complex morphology).

Edited by Teango on 13 February 2012 at 11:16am

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4741 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 6 of 22
11 February 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
"super impossible" = what is it with people not being able to something like "hard" or "difficult"...

IronFist
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 

Message 7 of 22
11 February 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Is Hieroglyphics/ancient Egyptian hard?

Not if you use Rosetta Stone.

Can I use Pimsleur instead?

IronFist
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 

Message 8 of 22
11 February 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I'm currently studying the Assimil beginner's course for a bit of fun on the side (which is great as it comes with audio CDs as well - although pronunciation is of course theoretical and largely based on liturgical Coptic), and previously used Collier and Manley's excellent "How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs" along with some web resources back in 2010. Although it's no piece of cake, I think it's well within the capabilities of most people to learn Middle Egyptian hieroglyphics...it's just a lot of hard work, that's all.

As Ari rightly points out, there are many facets to reading hieroglyphics, including pictograms, duplicated sounds, morphological markers, and determiners (signs that give you a clue to the overall context of the word). Therefore it might help to think of Egyptian hieroglyphics as a mixture of languages like Japanese (which uses a mixture of kanji and kana) and Arabic (a related Semitic language that has a similarly rich and complex morphology).

That kinda makes sense. I read on the wikipedia article that there were over 2000 characters so I figured it wasn't just phonetic.

Does anyone speak it? Or are attempts at speaking it just a guess?

Also, it seems like it would've been really inefficient to write, having to draw like birds and stuff for each letter. Was there a shorthand? Or did it eventually evolve into modern Arabic writing (which actually looks like it could be written pretty quickly since it mostly just looks like a horizontal line with some squigglies*)

*pretty sure I will get flamed and/or corrected for saying that :p

edit - I take back my comment. Sometimes it looks like a horizontal line with some squigglies:

http://www.library.cornell.edu/colldev/mideast/mdduw.gif

I think that could be written pretty quickly by someone who knew what they were doing.

But then I saw this, which looks like it would take a lot longer to write:

http://library.thinkquest.org/2834/gather/egypt/arabic2.gif

And this, which has a lot of vertical lines, thus invalidating my "horizontal line" comment earlier:

http://arabicgenie.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/arabi c_tattoo_design_strength_courage_wisdom.png

And this one is like a mixture of them all:

http://www.tattoospot.com/data/media/81/arabic-writing2.jpg

What does it mean when there's a long line. Is that just stylistic or is it a string of letters that are just written as a horizontal line, such as this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Basmala.s vg

Edited by IronFist on 11 February 2012 at 7:16pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version