Joined 6380 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 9 of 25
28 February 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 

r0pe wrote:
朝飯前 (あさめしまえ) it's a piece of cake
Funny how "before breakfast" means the same thing as "it's a piece of cake". I wonder if that means it's easy to have cake for breakfast (lol)

I think it means it's so easy, you can get it done before breakfast. Though cake for breakfast might be nice too. There was an article in the newspaper recently where some researchers had found out that it is better to eat your main meal (and dessert) in the morning as you need more energy and burn more calories during the day than at night.

1 person has voted this message useful

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4425 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 25
28 February 2012 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

I think it means it's so easy, you can get it done before breakfast. Though cake for breakfast might be nice too. There was an article in the newspaper recently where some researchers had found out that it is better to eat your main meal (and dessert) in the morning as you need more energy and burn more calories during the day than at night.

Like the traditional Japanese breakfast: Miso soup and rice with a raw egg... おいしいですよ。

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4425 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 11 of 25
02 March 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Favourite new word of the day: 有志一同 (ゆうしいちどう) all those interested, al those willing, all of us

Today I did reps on my SRS with Heisig Kanjis for about 1 hour. I also added all missing Kanji of Chapter 18 of Heisig's Book 1... I'm very slow with it, but can't wait to start Part 3 of the book. Because of my work (very early, or late) I'm not very motivated... hopefully next week there will be more time.

This week I tried to start with other learning sources, but realized I need to finish Heisig first, because I don't want to make my own bad mnemonics for Kanji not yet learned. I believe it's much easier to learn new vocabularies or whole sentences after at least recognizing most of the Kanji.

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4425 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 12 of 25
11 March 2012 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
The last week I got in contact with Japanese everyday, but somehow I feel like idling along, without much progress. The first days I started to update my SRS with my Heisig Kanjis, adding the whole words and readings for the meaning given by Heisig. For example (I'm using the German edition):
Front: Tropfen 水てき (すいてき)
Back: 滴 My story....

I don't know if it's helpful, but at least there is some context from the beginning, and I hope to learn some vocab along the way. Of course I'm concentrating mostly on the Keyword and the Kanji itself.

Last Thursday I listened to NHK radio, understanding almost nothing, apart from the 天気予報: In Tokyo it was cloudy and 9 degrees. Because of my early shift I fall asleep.

Yesterday I started reading the Nihongo So-matome N3 grammar exercise book thoroughly. I finished the first 2 lessons, containing the topics: れている、れた、せてください and ないた、ちゃった、とく
I'm still not sure if the "N3" is to advanced for me, or the book is bad. There are almost no explanations. I also did the れんしゅ part. For today, I'm going to put those Exercise-sentences into my SRS. For example:
Front: 英語は世界中で〜〜〜います。
Back: 話されて
The textbook has multiple choices for each sentence (a: 話されて b: 話られて). I'm not sure, but I probably won't enter them into the SRS.

Yesterday I also watched a Japanese drama on Mysoju.com
I discovered the page again, yesterday, after forgetting about it for several years. I wanted to continue some ongoing drama I've already seen the first 1-2 episodes, like Strawberry Night, 13sai no Hello Work, Lucky Seven, Renai Neet, Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi, or Hungry, but all of them had broken links. After that I watched the first episode about a war-drama. I probably won't continue watching it ^^

That's all for today. Remembering the dead of 3/11 today.

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4425 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 13 of 25
15 March 2012 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
During my study of new kanji, I came across some funny combinations:

蚕食 (さんしょく) encroachment, invason, aggression
Kanji: Silkworm + eat, food
I'm also using the German definition in the Kotoba! app. It says: "sich etwas vom Rand her einverleiben wie ein Seidenwurm ein Maulbeerblatt". = to absorb/swallow up sth. from the edge like a silkworm eats a leaf of a morus plant. O_o

蛍雪 (けいせつ) diligence in studying (e.g. continue to study even in such poor light as offered by a firefly or that reflected by snow.)
Kanji: firefly + snow

蛍光灯 (けいこうとう) flourescent lamp/light ; person who is slow to react
Kanji: firefly + ray/light + lamp

fortheo
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 14 of 25
15 March 2012 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Hey! looks like you are making good progress! I completely understand how you feel when work gets in the way, its a very frustrating feeling. The only thing you can really do is try to get some Japanese in on whatever spare time you can find. This is difficult, especially when you are exhausted from work. I must admit that some nights after work ( i work the evening shift ) I struggle just to maintain my anki decks.

Anyways you are doing great, keep up the good work!

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4425 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 15 of 25
17 March 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
@fortheo: Thank you for your motivational words. I'm trying to think of Japanese as much as possible. Today is the first day of my 2 week holiday and when I took a shower, a Japanese word I really like came to my mind: 幸せ I love the sound of it :)

My actual status of learning Heisig RtK1 is #577. Now I need to do some repetition, but after the 2 week holiday I intend to be at Kanji # 795 (end of chapter 24) by 1st April. I love the part, where you have to build up your own stories, but it can get tricky.

Yesterday I've ordered "The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary" and "Short Stories in Japanese: New Penguin Parallel Text". I'm really interested in the compound words in the Kondansha, because searching for them online, I'm always insecure about the commonness of the words.

Edited by r0pe on 17 March 2012 at 8:58am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 16 of 25
17 March 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
r0pe wrote:
蚕食 (さんしょく) encroachment, invason, aggression
Kanji: Silkworm + eat, food
I'm also using the German definition in the Kotoba! app. It says: "sich etwas vom Rand her einverleiben wie ein Seidenwurm ein Maulbeerblatt". = to absorb/swallow up sth. from the edge like a silkworm eats a leaf of a morus plant. O_o

The words that you pick are so great! Japanese is such a colorful language. It looks like those Seidenwürmer can be pretty voracious! :D

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version