Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4590 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: Italian, Swedish, Russian

Message 1 of 24
18 February 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
This is my first post on this forum. I tried searching to see if my questions had already been addressed elsewhere but as I am not a pro member I cannot see all past posts.

My question is:
Is it actually possible to teach yourself how to speak, without ever communicating with someone in your target language?

The reason I ask is because I have been studying Swedish and Italian for the past couple of years, and would rate myself in the B region for both of these. I am currently in Italy right now, and was shocked at how much I had overrated my Italian speaking abilities. I always considered Italian an "easy" language, as I am natively fluent in French, so reading and listening comprehension came with ease. However, I had a lot of difficulty speaking when I first arrived 6 weeks ago. Despite the fact that I had never been to Italy before, I could understand most of what I was being told, but I really struggled when it came to responding in Italian.
This realization made me wonder: despite being able to teach yourself to understand books, TV and the radio (things that you can practice at home), can one really teach oneself how to speak without practicing with a live person?

Edited by alp on 18 February 2012 at 11:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5435 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 24
19 February 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Yes, translating.
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 24
19 February 2012 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Great question. Welcome to the forum. I am certainly not an expert in this, but I do learn Spanish with relatively little "real" speaking practice. My sense is that someone could get to a decent proficiency level through self study by using programs like FSI and Assimil... but certainly not "fluent"...
1 person has voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5858 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 4 of 24
19 February 2012 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
@alp drills and "shadow boxing" techniques
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5874 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 24
19 February 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Speaking takes practice. I don't have anyone to speak with and very little time to go online to find anyone and so resort to speaking excercises. @alp, if you're already in Italy the best thing to do is to get out there, speak, and make mistakes. Other than that, try a few of these ideas from a DELF B1 "production orale" section. (you can apply these to any language you're working on..)

Excercise 1: Speaking situations, for example, what do you say to the waiter if you're at a restaurant and your pizza is cold. (I find it helpful to write out a small script first then I translate to the TL without looking at the script.)

Excercise 2: Describe what you see in pictures. Sometimes you can find a comic without words (or not too many) and describe what you see is going on. It takes practice, but right away you will get a sense of what words you know well and what words don't come so easily.

Excercise 3: Brainstorming. What do you think about for the following themes: "media and technology, student life, working world, ecology and the environment, men and women, money ....etc. Write out what words come to mind and what words you have to look up, then quiz yourself

I hope that helps.

8 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6409 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 6 of 24
19 February 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
You could also try self-talk, or get a Skype pal.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Itikar
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4458 days ago

94 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 7 of 24
19 February 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
You have not too much to worry.
Colloquial Italian is not so bad after all and you will get along easily after a while.
Despite I do not understand why people call "easy" such a language (or even English, or any other language). Probably this is due to the fact that most people who study Italian focus on the colloquial speech, rather than more troublesome aspects.

Anyway to enjoy a decent conversation in Italian I suggest you to focus on:
a)Tonality: it is very important, as the Assimil Italian course underlines. In any case there are some little tricks to get around it, but you need experience.
b)Subject omission and particles can be challenging, especially when people speak fast, and it is hard for a native speaker to avoid doing this. :(
c)It is rare to hear pure Italian as you hear in TV or in a language course. In almost every region, Tuscany included, there are dialectal or regional peculiarities in the common speech. You have to get accustomed to them. It will not take too much effort.
d)Unlike what Italian courses usually tell, subjunctive is used a lot in speech, especially simple tenses, and even when they should not be required! So try to make the ear to it.

I think you are not so far from the point of expressing yourself well and freely in Italian, since Italian and French grammars and vocabulary are not too different. You have only to get over the "speak block" and you will be fine. :)

5 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 24
19 February 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
There is actually a slim but excellent book which focuses on precisely this issue. It is full of strategies that if applied (i.e. by using and not just by reading the book!) quite quickly transform you from somebody who is relatively mute but had a decent passive vocabulary, to somebody who can hold a decent conversation.

The book is How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediate by Boris Shekhtman.

It is now my favourite language learning book. I wish I had this years ago, since it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

The author of the book is now retired (I believe) but for many years was a well respected teacher of Russian to high flying journalists (e.g. from Time and the Wall Street Journal if I remember). Prior to that he taught diplomats at FSI.

Harold Goodman (who created the Michel Thomas Mandarin course) told me about Boris (he taught Harold Russian) and I am forever grateful to him for this, since it lead eventually to me finding this book and the time-proven and effective strategies it contains.

13 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version