Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5593 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 1 of 6
19 February 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
I'm really impressed with languagetransfer.org and their Greek course and while I don't
want to get serious about learning it for a long time yet I want to spend a week L-R'ing
it just so I have some basic knowledge...but I can't find a Modern Greek audiobook to
download anywhere. I tried typing ηχοβιβλία into google (from the thread on the word for
"audiobook" in many languages) but nothing doing. I'll L-R literally anything anything
long enough to be suitable, even the Bible or other religious texts as long as it's in
MODERN Greek. Any suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4678 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 2 of 6
19 February 2012 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
I think you can forget about free greek audiobooks.
I have searched and only find one about a fairytale, short one, on amazon.com .

ps. I didn't search for religious texts in modern greek.

Zorrillo
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6194 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Sign Language, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Greek, Georgian, Indonesian

Message 3 of 6
19 February 2012 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
The Jehova's Witnesses have tons of audio with matching scripts, for nearly any language you can imagine, including a lot of stuff for Modern Greek. I am using their material right now to learn Greek.

I don't know how long your texts need to be, but they have one publication called "What Does the Bible Really Teach", which is over 200 pages long. It is available in Modern Greek in both text and audio form. For beginners, they produce a 300 page long children's book of Bible stories, available in audio and text form for many languages, including Greek.

They also produce the Watchtower magazine monthly in Greek in text and audio form, but these issues are shorter, perhaps 25-30 pages long.

All of that is available for free at:

www.jw.org

Just explore the tabs on the left side to locate their Greek collection. (It will say "Audio Recordings" and "Digital Publications"). In my opinion this website is the best kept secret in the language learning world. Tons of free material for any language you can imagine. I hope this will help you.

Edited by Zorrillo on 19 February 2012 at 10:21am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4678 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 4 of 6
19 February 2012 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Zorrillo: That is a good find. Thank you!

ember
Triglot
Groupie
CyprusRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5213 days ago

63 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, French, Greek, Polish

Message 5 of 6
19 February 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
This site has some children's stories in Greek with texts to flip through the pages. I
listen to them with my daughter (who speaks Greek fluently, since she goes to Greek kindergarten) - they are simple, but you can still learn from them.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5593 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 6 of 6
19 February 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Zorillo: individually they are all too small to L-R, so I'd never have noticed them by
myself, but there are (as you say) lots, it should be possible to put them all together
to get something worth L-R'ing as they are all on a similar theme. Thanks a lot. :-)

Edited by Random review on 19 February 2012 at 2:15pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version