United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
19 February 2012 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 

Well, I have been inspired by some of the tremendous progress a few people are making in the present 6WC. I'm a little late to join, of course, and I don't know how to use Twitter anyways.

So I decided to make my own challenge.

I am going to focus for the next two weeks on Italian. I am hoping to put in 6-8 hours a day. I would like to get through the following materials:

Michel Thomas (about 22 hours)
Foundation (and Review) course
Language Builder
Vocabulary
Advanced (and Review) course

Living Language Ultimate Italian (40 Lessons)
Livemocha's Active Italian course
Il Piccolo Principe
and probably some radio and music

I think it's important to note that I've worked through about half this material at various points in the past. I feel like I know most of it, but I need to bring it back from behind all the cobwebs in my brain. Which will be a challenge, because the cobwebs in their look like the canopy in the Amazon jungle!

After these two weeks, I will probably do something similar for my other languages, but I am hoping I'll be able to move into funner things with Italian. I will get back to Assimil after the challenge, but I would like to start LR-ing Harry Potter and doing more writing and conversation-based activities after I have refreshed my memory and no longer feel like an idiot in Italian. =)

Andiamo!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 2 of 7
20 February 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged 

I got through the first four discs of the Michel Thomas Foundation course yesterday, and did discs 5-8 this evening.

I think that the Michel Thomas method has a tremendous amount to offer, but it is utterly annoying at times.

There's a section during the third disc where he's making an issue of the difference between I won't and I want, which I don't understand from a native English speaker's perspective. It sounds the same to him (and he says them the same), but they are completely different.

Sometimes I think he deliberately tries to confuse these poor students, especially on discs 6-7, where he's going over some of the new tenses. He gets them so lost they don't know which end is up!

I've noticed that I don't translate very well. I can come up with the right verb tenses when I'm speaking, or understand them when I hear/read them, but I don't translate them. It's not just verbs, it's all aspects of the language. I don't think of mela = apple = manzana, but I actually picture what it IS. If that makes any sense.

Once I'm more familiar with a language, I can translate back and forth without thinking about it, but it's not the words I am translating as much as the meaning I am conveying. Does that make sense? Am I the only person who does this?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 3 of 7
20 February 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 

I'm a little frustrated right now. I was looking for the audio to Il Piccolo Principe, but my regular library no longer has it available. I've found parts of it on Youtube, but not the whole thing yet.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 7
21 February 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I've noticed that I don't translate very well. I can come up with the right verb tenses when I'm speaking, or understand them when I hear/read them, but I don't translate them. It's not just verbs, it's all aspects of the language. I don't think of mela = apple = manzana, but I actually picture what it IS. If that makes any sense.

Once I'm more familiar with a language, I can translate back and forth without thinking about it, but it's not the words I am translating as much as the meaning I am conveying. Does that make sense? Am I the only person who does this?
That's very good and that's what I also aim to do asap. Because of this I avoid translation-based courses... plus I as a linguist find them condescending. Though on the other hand I'm tired of traditional courses as well :/
As you progress, this should make it easier to translate between the languages. In fact, I force my mind to switch a lot, and it helps me start thinking in the language.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 5 of 7
22 February 2012 at 4:30am | IP Logged 

Monday
MT Foundation Review Disc 1

Tuesday
LL Ultimate Italian Reviewed Lesson 1-2
Cortina Italian - Lesson 1

Yesterday, I had a few hours dedicated to checking papers for my friends. I have two Bosnian friends who are finishing up their undergrad degrees, and I check their papers and correct their English for them. Tonight was their last class of their last semester, so I'm really proud of them. It's been a lot of fun to watch their progress.

I've also been sick with the stomach flu the last two days, or maybe I just ate something I shouldn't have. In either case, my poor stomach has been rather crabby and I've been less than stellar about getting much productive done.

Hopefully my tummy will feel better tomorrow and I'll be able to function a little more.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 7
22 February 2012 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
*hugs* feel better soon!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 7 of 7
24 February 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 

@ Serpent: Thanks! I am feeling better. =)

Wednesday
MT Language Builder (Disc 1)
Cortina Lesson 2, part of 3

Thursday
MT Vocabulary Course (Disc 1)
Livemocha Italian 101 - four lessons

My kids didn't go to school until late on Thursday because of the weather, so it was a lot harder to get stuff done in the morning. (And they're off of school today, too. Yay, snow!)

It's not coming along as quickly as I'd hoped, but I'm still making progress every day. I'm surprised how much of it is coming back to me, and how easy it is, especially with my Spanish and French knowledge.

I love the Michel Thomas courses because they cover so much ground in only a few hours. I think - in general - that he explains grammar points and shows you how the structure of the language works better than any other program does, given the time constraints.

That being said, he absolutely drives me nuts. His accent is horribile, the students are . . . shall we say not the sharpest tools in the shed. I actually like the Review Discs, because they fly through the information and you can see what you know and what you need work on. The language builder and the vocabulary courses seem to be a lot more of a challenge. I may end up repeating them two or three times, and using the guide to study off of, even though that supposedly defeats the entire purpose of his method!

I started putting vocab into Anki yesterday, but only got about 100 words in. I have a feeling that is going to be my go-to activity when the kids are home (and awake). My girls are 9 years old, and they are very good at interrupting mom whenever she doesn't want to be interrupted. They can leave me alone for two whole hours, but as soon as I put my mp3 player on to listen to a lesson, someone needs something. Sometimes, I think they are deliberately trying to sabotage my efforts!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version