Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 42
28 January 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
I think what some find a bit frustrating is that you can spend x thousand hours on perfecting three languages,
and become absolutely amazing at them, and nobody cares. And then they see someone who spends half
that time on learning 15 languages to A2, and they are considered super heroes. For most people outside our
little nest of hard core language maniacs, " I speak a language" can be anything from A2 to C2, and the
public at large simply count who has the highest number. And I am not commenting on this guy, who seems
really good, I am just making a general observation.

Nobody at home is impressed over the fact that my Spanish is really good (C2), but they are deeply in awe
over the fact that I can speak a few random sentences (A2) in Russian. The world is an unfair place :-)

I have no problem with this, there are a lot of things that are more unfair, but if someone feels it is not fair to
not have acknowledgement for their work, I would learn a couple of the tougher languages (Russian,
Japanese, Mandarin) to A2 and add it to the mix. You might find that learning them even just to A2 is also an
achievement, thus increasing your respect for those who make a career out of it, and you will get some of the
praise that you might not get for the one(s) you do study.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 28 January 2013 at 1:46pm

14 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 34 of 42
28 January 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
pesahson wrote:
I like the sound of Hebrew as well. I studied it for a bit formally
at
university but since my course finished my abilities deteriorated. I do hope to learn
it
one day. I have a soft spot for this language. I like this video for its unusual
combination of languages used.

Sounds quite common actually; in Israel there are many people that speak Russian along
with Hebrew and English.

Quote:
I have no problem with this, there are a lot of things that are more unfair, but
if someone feels it is not fair to not have acknowledgement for their work, I would
learn a couple of the tougher languages (Russian, Japanese, Mandarin) to A2 and add it
to the mix. You might find that learning them even just to A2 is also an
achievement, thus increasing your respect for those who make a career out of it, and
you will get some of the praise that you might not get for the one(s) you do study.

Sounds like a dancing-monkey reason to learn a language. I learned Russian because I
like Russian. If I had only ever learned Germanic and Romance languges, would that not
be an achievement? I just learn what I like.

Edited by tarvos on 28 January 2013 at 5:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5510 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 35 of 42
07 June 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Alex uploaded an interesting video on his channel all in Yiddish (with subtitles).

How to learn Yiddish
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4026 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 36 of 42
07 June 2013 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Oxford University Mentioned: Heart swells with pride.

Joking aside, I think he's very impressive and his blog is great. Though his accent in
Greek really is really good but doesn't quite...click. Also the language courses are
tough so I'm not surprised he's great in those he is studying formally.

Good for him. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

418brian
Austria
dageniuslab.com
Joined 4114 days ago

9 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English

Message 37 of 42
08 June 2013 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Alex is great and legit, I met him at the Polyglot Conference in Budapest, also made a few videos with him too.
Maybe i should invite him to come on here to have a chat :)

cod2
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4336 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 

Message 38 of 42
01 April 2015 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
The main problem with these videos is that they don't show a person in a completely unscripted situation where they have no control over where the conversation goes.

Because that's what happens in real life.

An old lady at the train station may just turn towards you and ask you if you could help her with the ticket machine.
A checkout lady may start telling you about the latest promotion.
A hotel receptionist may tell you that your room charge is going to be higher than expected because there is a 2% local tax levied by the government.
A ticket collector may start berating you because your ticket is not valid in the train you have boarded.

Only when you can handle situations such as these like a native adult (i.e. without just mumbling yes/no/thank you/sorry, and without asking the speaker to repeat what they said) are you fluent in a language.

Edited by cod2 on 01 April 2015 at 10:07pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 42
02 April 2015 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Those three situations are actually not particularly taxing. If you are staying in hotels or taking trains in a country where one of your target languages spoken you will have probably had learnt the relevant vocabulary. The really disturbing about them is not the topics, but the fact that somebody is speaking to you and expect an answer - especially if it is a person who speaks at a native level and expects you to do the same. And a videotaped conversation with such a person will have one additional inbuilt stress factor, namely the fact that a camera is recording everything you say.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 40 of 42
02 April 2015 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
cod2 wrote:
The main problem with these videos is that they don't show a person in a
completely unscripted situation where they have no control over where the conversation
goes.

Because that's what happens in real life.

An old lady at the train station may just turn towards you and ask you if you could
help her with the ticket machine.
A checkout lady may start telling you about the latest promotion.
A hotel receptionist may tell you that your room charge is going to be higher than
expected because there is a 2% local tax levied by the government.
A ticket collector may start berating you because your ticket is not valid in the
train you have boarded.

Only when you can handle situations such as these like a native adult (i.e. without
just mumbling yes/no/thank you/sorry, and without asking the speaker to repeat what
they said) are you fluent in a language.

Actually I would expect this sort of thing to come up on language exams much earlier,
at say, A2/B1 level.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version