Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
sigismvndvs
Poland
Joined 4471 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Polish*

Message 1 of 7
21 February 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Hi everybody! I am new to the forum and I have interest in PIE languages. I wanted to
start a thread about schleicher's fable (The Sheep and the Horses) in various languages
so that everyone can look it up here. For one I wanted to hear it in Lithuanian, but
couldn't find it on the internet. If anyone could post it I would be delighted. The
original text by Schleicher from 1868 is here:

PIE - Schleicher (1868):

Avis, jasmin varnā na ā ast, dadarka akvams, tam, vāgham garum vaghantam, tam, bhāram
magham, tam, manum āku bharantam. Avis akvabhjams ā vavakat: kard aghnutai mai vidanti
manum akvams agantam. Akvāsas ā vavakant: krudhi avai, kard aghnutai vividvant-svas:
manus patis varnām avisāms karnauti svabhjam gharmam vastram avibhjams ka varnā na
asti. Tat kukruvants avis agram ā bhugat.

Which translates to:

English:

A sheep that had no wool saw horses, one of them pulling a heavy wagon, one carrying a
big load, and one carrying a man quickly. The sheep said to the horses: "My heart pains
me, seeing a man driving horses". The horses said: "Listen, sheep, our hearts pain us
when we see this: a man, the master, makes the wool of the sheep into a warm garment
for himself. And the sheep has no wool". Having heard this, the sheep fled into the
plain.

Polish:

Owca, na której wełny nie było, ujrzała konie wóz ciężki wiozące - ciężar wielki,
człowieko szybko niosące. Owca koniom zawołała: Serce trwoży się mi widzącej człowieka
konie poganiającego. Konie zawołały: Słuchaj, owco, serce trwoży się ujrzawszy:
człowiek-pan wełnę owcom ścina: sobie na ciepłą odzież - a owce wełny nie mają. To
usłyszawszy owca z pola uciekła.
1 person has voted this message useful

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4681 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 2 of 7
22 February 2012 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
You may find this to be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleicher's_fable

Sadly, Lithuanian isn't on the list of other wikis that have an article (and thus a translation) about the fable.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 7
22 February 2012 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
There're also some reconstructions here but no attempt in Lithuanian yet. You could always send a PM to Veel who is Lithuanian and see what happens.

Veel
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 4504 days ago

23 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Latvian, English, NorwegianC1
Studies: Greek, Estonian

Message 4 of 7
06 March 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for being a bit late, but there eventually comes a Lithuanian version too. That's the only one that I've been able to fish out of the google pond, so don't trust that so much. Of course, I'm a native speaker, but being a native speaker doesn't make one a linguist. Anyway, this might be of some help to you.

Šleicherio pasakėčia

Avis ir arkliai

(Kalvose) avis, kuri neturėjo vilnos, išvydo arklius, vienas jų sunku važį vežė, dar vienas didelę naštą, dar vienas greitai žmogų nešė. Avis arkliams pasakė: " Širdis skauda mano, arklius jodinėjamus vyro vydinčiai." Arkliai tajai atsakė:"Klausyk, avie, širdys mūsų skauda, mums vydintiems: žmogų (vyrą), patį, avies vilną savo drabužiui šiltam kerpantį. O aviai vilnos nebeesti." Tatai išklausiusi avis lygumon nubėgo.

Edited by Veel on 06 March 2012 at 5:52pm

sigismvndvs
Poland
Joined 4471 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 5 of 7
18 March 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Great thanks Veel. I am also looking for a sanskrit translation of that. Havn't succeeded
so far.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6470 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 6 of 7
18 March 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Well, to be honest, the 1868 one could almost be Sanskrit. A lot has happened since then and it's extremely
outdated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sigismvndvs
Poland
Joined 4471 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 7 of 7
03 June 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
@Hampie I can't speak sanskrit. Still I reckon it's pretty close to it. Plz come up with
an updated version thereof. Btw, it seems arklys is the word for horse nowadays, but
isn't there a word that's closer to asva/equus/hippos? I remember reading some time ago
that's the case like Spanish cabal/yegua. I highly recomend everyone interested in PIE to
take a look at "A Lithuanian Etymological Index" by Bender. I've got it from filestube.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version