Diglot
United States
Joined 5157 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 2
22 February 2012 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
I have read that the Assimil books were all written using French as the base language and then translated for other base languages.

What is the original base language for the French books? What were the original base languages of French With Ease, Using French etc?

The reason I am asking is because I am wondering if the Spanish based French book would be better than the English based French book (or vice verse).

1 person has voted this message useful

palfrey
Canada
Joined 5055 days ago

81 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 2 of 2
22 February 2012 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
If you go to the Assimil catalogue, you can choose the native language as Spanish, and search for books on French having Spanish as a base.

For both El Frances (= With Ease) and Frances Perfeccionamiento (= Using French), the authors are Anthony Bulger and Jean-Loup Cherel. Someone else is listed as having "adapted" the course.

So it looks like the French courses were originally written by Bulger and Cherel, with English as the base language. Versions in most other languages are translations from the English.

(My apologies to M. Cherel, should he be reading this. My computer was not displaying the accents properly, so I left them off the letters, including in his name.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version