Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 17
25 February 2012 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I prefer to keep MT and Pimsleur for the car, but when I'm walking about I speak quietly to myself. I think it's important to use your mouth, not just an inner voice, with these courses, because you might be able to think a phrase, but still stumble over it when speaking it out loud. I also try to echo Assimil lessons in the same way, but you have to be quick!

I can't resist mentioning it, in case anyone misinterprets the word: synchronicity does not mean that the two things are related by cause and effect. It is the experience of two relatedt things that feels so strong, one seems to have caused the other. So when you are talking about a song, and then it comes on the radio. Two things, related by meaning rather than by cause and effect, come together in time. However, speaking French to yourself, then meeting a French person is a case of cause and effect. Speaking didn't cause them to be there, but it did cause you to meet them.
1 person has voted this message useful

kimmitt
United Kingdom
Joined 4762 days ago

33 posts - 38 votes
Studies: French

Message 11 of 17
07 April 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
This is one of the benefits of living in a massive city like London.
Despite the streets
being packed no one
bats an eyelid if one walks down the street occasionally blurting out Pimsleur
sentences
- the invention of
bluetooth headsets and hands-free mobile telephones a few years back means that a
noticeable number of
people always appear to be talking to themselves anyway, often in very loud foreign
languages, so it is a
case of just blending in with the crowd.

Not sure that is my experience - maybe it depends on whereabouts in London you live.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5480 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 17
07 April 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
However, speaking French to yourself, then meeting a French person is a case of cause and effect. Speaking didn't cause them to be there, but it did cause you to meet them.

Or simply a case of heightened observation on your part. I noticed something similar when buying cars over the past few decades. No matter which colour car I have bought, as I drive it home I cannot believe how many people seem to be driving cars of exactly the same colour.

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4463 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 13 of 17
07 April 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I do this everyday; on my way to work and on my way back. I'm working in a bank located
in city center so people stare at me as im a madman trying to talk in Italian to himself
but i don't care much about what they think.

jason_polybus
Tetraglot
Canada
study-and-learn-chin
Joined 4430 days ago

5 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 14 of 17
07 April 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I used to take a commuter bus to work. It was about 30 minutes in the morning and closer to an hour in the evening. I didn't want to waste all that time, so I would often bring an mp3 player and do some audio courses or listen to dialogues from coursebooks. If there was someone sitting right next to me I would feel a little awkward, but as long as I got the two seats to myself I had no problem looking out the window and mumbling foreign dialogues to myself for the whole ride.

Not sure what people around me thought. Maybe they thought I was on a phone or something, but once I started into the material I would forget about the other people. I do the same thing when I know I will have to wait in waiting rooms or wait in lines when running errands.

Maux
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4436 days ago

37 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English

Message 15 of 17
08 April 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
I keep it down to a whisper, but apart from that I'm too focused on studying to pay attention to (or care about) how
other people are reacting. Come to think about it, someone who seems to be completely focused inward while
continuously whispering weird sounding phrases probably comes across as stranger than someone who just ups the
volume a bit.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5770 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 16 of 17
08 April 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
When I was downtown, a heavy shopping/business area, people often were having phone conversations on a tiny ear piece or dictating notes, full volume as they walked to/from the train station to their work building. So speaking out loud was not an issue. I did speak a little softer though so as to not draw too much attention to myself.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version