Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5259 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
23 February 2012 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
We confirm that, the Department may continue to treat the Company as entitled to exercise and enforce all of its rights and remedies under or in respect of the Agreement and the Certificates on the right to use the land and own houses and other assets attached to the land issued to and in favour of the Company in respect of the Land Lots and the land lots to be leased for the construction of the Housing Facilities and office buildings of the Company (hereinafter referred to as the Certificates) until you receive notice in writing to the contrary from the Onshore Security Agent, in which event the Department will comply with such notice.

Anyone is kind enough to simplify this sentence for me?
I am so frustrated by its complication!

And I also want to make sure the meaning of "remedy","on the right to" and "to the contrary" and "Onshore Security Agent". Thanks a lot!

Edited by chenshujian on 23 February 2012 at 2:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
23 February 2012 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
I will attempt to translate this sentence from "legalese" to standard English. However,
my translation will contain errors, because I am not a lawyer, and because some of
these words used in this sentence probably have specialized legal meanings based on
earlier court cases.

Also, this sentence is awful, and I know some lawyers who would complain about it.

For an accurate and legally precise explanation, you will need to find a good lawyer.
To find a good contract lawyer in the US, try searching online for law firms that seem
competent and specialize in the right area of law. Speak with somebody at these firms
for 20–60 minutes apiece. Go with somebody (1) who does similar work on a regular
basis, (2) who can explain things to you clearly, and (3) who takes the time to
understand your goals. Expect to pay over $200/hour starting after the initial
interview. Ask for an estimate of how many hours will be required. This doesn't
guarantee you a good lawyer, but it may eliminate some of the bad ones.

chenshujian wrote:
We confirm that, the Department may continue to treat the Company as
entitled to exercise and enforce all of its rights and remedies under or in respect of
the Agreement and the Certificates on the right to use the land and own houses and
other assets attached to the land issued to and in favour of the Company in respect of
the Land Lots and the land lots to be leased for the construction of the Housing
Facilities and office buildings of the Company (hereinafter referred to as the
Certificates) until you receive notice in writing to the contrary from the Onshore
Security Agent, in which event the Department will comply with such notice.

"Yes, the Department may act as if the Company is allowed to enforce its rights under
the Agreement and Certificates, until such time as you receive a letter from the
Onshore Security Agent which says something different. When that happens, the
Department will do what the letter says." The big section in the middle explains which
certificates they're talking about.

"Onshore Security Agent" is capitalized, so it's probably either an official job title,
or a term defined elsewhere in the contract. Capitalized words in contracts are
generally define somewhere (look for a phrase such as "hereinafter referred to as the
___").

A "remedy" is normally something which cures an illness or fixes a problem. In the
legal sense, it's probably the right to receive money or other compensation if
something goes wrong. This will be explained in another contract, or in a law.

"Certificates on the right to use the land" is unclear, but it probably means "Legal
documents discussing the legal right to use the land."

"Notice in writing to the contrary" means a letter (or possibly an email) which
contradicts or changes the earlier policy.

Good luck! Again, I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Edited by emk on 23 February 2012 at 3:50am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 4
23 February 2012 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately, you give us no context either for the text, or for your situation, so it's hard to help you. You can't just extract a sentence out of a legal text -- or a poem -- and expect it to be crystal clear.

This is typical legal wording and I don't think a lawyer would want to simplify this as all notions expressed are important, but it's really hard to understand what it means exactly (especially for you) without the context and the preceding text.

Moreover, all capitalized words are usually defined at the beginning of the contract (or of the section you're in), and the defined meaning is not necessarily what you'd consider a usual meaning for that word. For instance, "Company" could mean a number a things. There used to be a famous example of a Canadian law where "naked" was defined as wearing clothes that don't cover the body sufficiently, or something like that.

There shouldn't be a comma after "We confirm that". I suppose they put it there because the text that follows was a quote?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5374 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 4
23 February 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
As Arekkusu says, the absence of context makes things harder.

In traditional legal drafting (before the onset of plain English campaigns) contracts
were drafted without punctuation marks as silly punctuation errors made by legal
draftsmen could easliy turn into a professional negligence claim. The thinking was/is
that it is better to leave it to the advocates and the judge to argue out what the
contract means in the unlikely event that there is a dispute and the case gets to
Court.

As has been said before - Department, Company, Agreement, Certificates, Land Lots,
Housing Facilities and Onshore Security Agent have been defined already in the contract
(which is probably the Agreement as agreement is the legal draftsman's term for
contract).

I would venture that one problem with the flow of the clause here is that the meaning
of 'Certificates' is defined within the clause (hence the 'hereinafter referred to as
the Certificates'). Taking the definition of Certificates out the clause makes it make
more sense. I have also added some minimal punctuation:

'We confirm that the Department may continue [i.e. has permission] to treat the Company
as entitled to exercise and enforce all of its rights and remedies under, or in respect
of, the Agreement and the Certificates . . . until you receive notice in writing to
the contrary from the Onshore Security Agent, in which event [i.e. the receipt of the
notice from the OSA] the Department will comply with such notice.'

In addition we have to define 'Certificates'. These are those documents ‘on the right
to use the land and own houses and other assets attached to the land [which have been]
issued to, and in favour of, the Company in respect of the Land Lots and [also] the
land lots [that are] to be leased for the construction of the Housing Facilities and
office buildings of the Company'

As to the word 'remedy' - the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (which is what the
English judiciary use) defines it as 'A means of counteracting or removing something
undesirable; of finding redress, or obtaining relief.'. So in the legal context for
example, an injunction is a remedy obtained from the court to stop someone doing
something undesirable to you.

Does that work? Or is it still complicated?

Edited by Elexi on 23 February 2012 at 5:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version