atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4461 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 1 of 30
23 February 2012 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
...how about giving a program a shot that can generate Pimsleur-style audio lessons from vocab lists?

Works flawlessly with exported decks from ANKI too, I just made a Core6000 course. You have to have TTS voices though, the program doesn't include them (for copyright reasons).

http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=3500
3 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5829 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 2 of 30
23 February 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about anki but I think memorylifter has some plugins to do exactly the same
1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4461 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 3 of 30
24 February 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Those audio books don't utilize the SRS portion. What the program I linked does is excatly that.

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5829 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 4 of 30
24 February 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
got it.. what about gradint?
http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/ssb22/gradint/

obsculta
United States
Joined 5580 days ago

36 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 30
24 February 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks very much for this, I'll download it and try it out.

Can you tell us something about the SRS system it employs? I.e., Pimsleur uses many more upfront repetitions to teach words/phrases, whereas Anki has fewer short-term repetitions, as it's designed to review material already learned in another context. Which does Audio Lesson Studio more closely resemble?

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4461 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 6 of 30
24 February 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I stand corrected, unlike GradInt, it does NOT utilize SRS!

I'm terribly sorry!

As for GradInt, the problem I have is, I get an error message "There are no words to put in the lesson. Please add some words first" when I actually added them to the vocab.txt
I can restart the program as often as I want and delete, then save, then add, then save again, GradInt recognizes them only the very first time and then never again...

It also opens up with "Error in advanced.txt (SyntaxError: invalid syntax (Line 217) at line 419). Warning: No speech synthesizer installed for language 'jp' (did you read ALL the comments in vocab.txt?)"

I find the program very irritating and the UI is kind of killing me. I'd love to make audio SRS lessons, but I just can't get it done..

Edited by atama warui on 24 February 2012 at 10:49pm

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4417 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 30
24 February 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
I tried both programs. I found Gradint first and abandoned it pretty quickly.

The "Audio Lesson Studio" is much better, but to get SRS repetitions, one need to implement the SRS part separately (through Anki, for example). Audio program alone, without grading would have SRS repetitions only partly included, anyway. - I mean in fixed intervals.

I will use it mainly for the initial vocabulary learning. What I did: I imported the daily wordlist twice - import from file, select words, randomize order, import again, select this part, randomize order twice, generate single use audio in format L1 - silence - L2 - silence - L2 - silence for the whole lesson (combine all). I would prefer to generate audio for each L1 - L2 pair separately and use the whole audio as album. (I could shuffle it then when listening and repeat as long as I wanted.)
Unfortunately, the program cannot join the audio from single line, and I don't want to use additional program for the joining.
This audio lesson is my "learning phase".

The same list will be imported at the same time into Anki. For the repetitions, I have two possibilities: either in Anki only, or first export the due cards as text and put them through Audio Lesson Studio. This would mean to make a second run in Anki later, but this should be pretty quick affair.

But I looked for a program, which would do exactly what the Audio Lesson Studio does. Take a list of word pairs and generate audio for listening in my car. My commute is quite short, about 20 minutes one way, and for this is short audio lesson ideal.

Edited by Majka on 24 February 2012 at 11:28pm

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4461 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 8 of 30
25 February 2012 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
What one can do with it, is creating alternatives to courses like Vocabulearn (which i listen for a while, then cut out everything I know already, so that only my "problem words" are left), with select vocabulary.

In the case of Japanese, the Show and Miaki TTS voices are pretty good (save for pitch, but pitch is pretty unimportant anyways) - or one can just download audio of words via Rikaisama plugin, then import them with Audio Lesson Studio.

The program in itself is very flexible, but it lacks the SRS feature which is actually THE (only) selling point for Pimsleur. If GradInt had a better UI, or ALS had spaced repetition, I'd be in heaven. I would just import something like the Core 10.000 and spend some months listening.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version