United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 30
25 February 2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
...how about giving a program a shot that can generate Pimsleur-style audio lessons from vocab lists?

Works flawlessly with exported decks from ANKI too, I just made a Core6000 course. You have to have TTS voices though, the program doesn't include them (for copyright reasons).

http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=3500

Where does it get the audio from? Are you using an Anki deck with sound?

I have hardly used Anki, because I usually do vocabulary in odd places (on the bog, while on a walk, etc), and prefer to do other things while at the computer. However, a good audio vocab course for French would be brilliant for me! I don't like vocabulearn, because most words don't seem to be repeated later, so you need to have perfect memory or something.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 10 of 30
25 February 2012 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
the SRS feature which is actually THE (only) selling point for Pimsleur.

Getting off topic here, but: are you kidding? Pimsleur is great for training your accent, and training your mouth muscles to get around phrases easily. In other words, it is for training fluency (properly defined). SRS is NOT a great point of Pimsleur because you only learn a comparatively small amount of vocabulary, given the time spent on it.

Edited by Jeffers on 25 February 2012 at 2:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 30
25 February 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
atama warui wrote:

Getting off topic here, but: are you kidding? Pimsleur is great for training your accent, and training your mouth muscles to get around phrases easily. In other words, it is for training fluency (properly defined). SRS is NOT a great point of Pimsleur because you only learn a comparatively small amount of vocabulary, given the time spent on it.

Perhaps I'm just unusually untalented, but when I first went to Germany, people often couldn't understand when I said simple words due to my accent. And I had used (part of) Pimsleur German a few years before that. For Slavic languages, I've also found myself unable to hear things properly with Pimsleur, much less say them correctly - but I haven't tried in a few years.

Edited by Volte on 25 February 2012 at 6:38pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 12 of 30
25 February 2012 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
atama warui wrote:

Perhaps I'm just unusually untalented, but when I first went to Germany, people often couldn't understand when I said simple words due to my accent. And I had used (part of) Pimsleur German a few years before that. For Slavic languages, I've also found myself unable to hear things properly with Pimsleur, much less say them correctly - but I haven't tried in a few years.

Notice I described it as "training". Using part of a training program a few years ago is not going to make you fit now. Whatever you did most recently before you first went to Germany would have had more impact on your accent.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 30
26 February 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

Notice I described it as "training". Using part of a training program a few years ago is not going to make you fit now. Whatever you did most recently before you first went to Germany would have had more impact on your accent.

I've used it right before going to Japan, and right before going to the Czech republic, if memory serves. My Japanese was "funny sounding", while my Czech was incomprehensible.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4482 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 14 of 30
26 February 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Where does it get the audio from? Are you using an Anki deck with sound?

I have hardly used Anki, because I usually do vocabulary in odd places (on the bog, while on a walk, etc), and prefer to do other things while at the computer. However, a good audio vocab course for French would be brilliant for me! I don't like vocabulearn, because most words don't seem to be repeated later, so you need to have perfect memory or something.
You can import audio files you got on your hard disk (or any other physical drive, for that matter), or you let TTS voices synthesize it for you.
Newer generation voices can be pretty good. While the English voices I have (Dave, Steven) are a bit strange at times, the Japanese ones (Miaki, Show) are very good.
Yes, I use ANKI with sound. When I encounter a word I don't know online, I import it via "Real-Time Import" plugin and Rikaisama for Firefox. When I need to import a word I don't know, I just look it up on Jiten.net and mouse-over it, so I can export it (Rikaisama).
I have no idea if there are similar tools for French learners, but there seem to be some crafty people for Japanese.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4482 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 15 of 30
26 February 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Fluency? What are you even TALKING about? What kind of fluency do you hope to achieve with Pimsleur?
Pimsleur is good to get your feet wet. It trains basic phrases, shows you by example a few grammar points and makes you drill those vocab and structures.
That alone doesn't even enable you to hold very basic conversations - it makes you speak phrases. No, not even that, it doesn't make you speak, because, if all you did was Pimsleur, you wouldn't understand the reply you get.

Let's get real here. Pimsleur is very cool for beginners as first step, but it's got nothing (even remotely!) to do with such things as fluency.

P.S.: Don't get me wrong, Pimsleur has its place: As a tool to teach you the very basic words plus some more in ways that make them unforgettable, and that makes it very valuable in my book (if you can get a copy on your library, or cheap on ebay).

Edited by atama warui on 26 February 2012 at 6:02am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 16 of 30
26 February 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
Fluency? What are you even TALKING about? What kind of fluency do you hope to achieve with Pimsleur?

I think you're mixing up fluency with proficiency. Fluency is the ability to speak easily and smoothly, at whatever level of proficiency you are. Pimsleur doesn't teach a lot, which is why I wrote that it's lousy as SRS, but what you learn, you will be able to speak easily and without hesitation if you use it correctly. This is because it gets you used to responding quickly.

It teaches to a pretty low level of proficiency (let's say A1 for the sake of this discussion). But it specifically works on your fluency at that level.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version