Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 17
24 February 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Talofa Lava!

In my teens I spent a year in New Zealand, surrounded by Pacific Islanders. To say that I came to appreciate their culture wouldn't quite be correct, because I can't say I understood much about it. But I admired their mentality and their music and loved their food. A friend tried to teach me some Fijian at the time but I failed miserably. The pronunciation seemed impossible to reproduce. Now I want to try again with Samoan. To me Samoan is a strong contender for the most beautiful language and it brings back happy memories (somehow that makes me sound ancient :D). That's why I called this log "fiafia", which means happy - among other things.

If you're curious how Samoan sounds, try Tali Maia by Pati.

I don't have time for much real study, but I think I will dabble a bit now and then when I want to relax from everything else. And as I go along I hope to tell everyone who's interested more about the language, the culture and how to find material to study it in this log.

Edited by druckfehler on 25 February 2012 at 1:18am

3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 2 of 17
24 February 2012 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Resources

Here I'll list all the language resources for Samoan I come across online and offline.
It's not easy to find adequate study material for Samoan, but it's definitely possible. Hopefully this list will keep growing. If you happen to know a resource for studying Samoan, please let me know.

Coursebooks

Gagana Samoa: A Samoan Language Coursebook lessons 1-3 available online; can be ordered on amazon

Peace Corps Samoan Language Handbook

Another Peace Corps Samoan Manual

Samoan for Mormon Missionaries many examples, drills, grammar explanations but cumbersome to access. Jarvis1000 has combined all the pages and now the whole manual can be easily downloaded on want2speakthai.com

Samoan Language Program Guide useful from page 75 onwards; adapted from Teach Yourself Samoan and others

Samoan Language Booklet phonetics, useful words and phrases

Learn Samoan Online Course words and expressions, grammar examples without explanation

Samoan Flashcards for Gagana Samoa, the Samoan Word Book and some others

Reference Books

A Grammar and Dictionary of the Samoan language also includes some "colloquial sentences" and poetry

Grammar and Vocabulary of the Samoan Language plus reading selection with glossary

Samoan Dictionary: Samoan - English, English - Samoan by G.B. Milner (no longer available, but in the library of my university - another choice seems to be available from NZ publisher)

Samoan Reference Grammar by Ulrike Mosel and Even Hovdhaugen (not available on amazon, but in the library of my university)

Samoan Word Book (Picture Dictionary) partially available online; can be ordered on amazon

Travel Dictionary some useful words and phrases

Manuatele.net Introduction to Samoan Words, Phrases (some with audio), English-Samoan Dictionary

Omniglot more useful phrases

Some Proverbs

Audio

Audio for Gagana Samoa available online

Peace Corps Course Audio not everything is spoken by a native speaker

Samoa Chat - Audio Lessons basic expressions

Tamaki Middle School Video Lessons cute kids teach simple words and phrases, bad site navigation

Saoleilei Online Course only few samples are free, subscription costs 99.99$ per year

Samoan Language Week Video with English subtitles

Tofiga O Pili Aau Samoan Short Film with English subtitles

Leaoa: A Samoan Story Samoan Short Film with English subtitles

Malaga Short Film partly in Samoan with English subtitles, partly in English

Samoa Capital Radio live stream, podcasts, website text in English and Samoan

SBS Podcasts in Samoan news

"TV SAMOA" Youtube lots of videos about Samoa, some in English

South Sea Pictures on Youtube a couple of videos in Samoan

For Me for Us - Video about Health no English

Radio Samoana music, radio stations, lyrics

Audio Bible Stories and Lessons in Samoan some with English text

some Christian Hymns and Sermons

Jesusfilm with Samoan speaker also available in English; might not be a close translation

Listening - Reading

Legend "Sina ma lana Tuna" (Sina and the Eel) with English translation and exercises

Another version of "Sina ma le Tuna" with English translation

Legend "O le uluai afi i Samoa" (How fire came to Samoa) with English translation

Legend "O le atiga figata mamana" (The magic seashell) with English translation

Legend "Fagogo i le laau o le Niu" (The legend of the Coconut) with English translation

Home and Community Care Pamphlet with Audio audio version is different in some places

Lecture about the Importance of the Samoan Language in English, but includes some Samoan with transcript on slides and English translation

Parallel Texts

O Le Talo Sione from International Children's Digital Library in English, Maori, Niuean, Samoan

O Le Tala I Le 'Au Uso (The Story of Two Brothers)

Tama Samoa - Le Fetuao Samoan Language School Student Production short video with text about Samoan boys

Government of Samoa Site mostly in the "press secretariat"-pdf on the right side

Human Rights Declaration

National Anthem of Samoa

Mental Health Inventory Questionnaire useful for learning emotion words

Earthquake Brochures in Samoan Earthquake Brochures in Chinese, Korean, Arabic 1 Earthquake Brochure in English

Bible Verses, Prayers, etc.

Some Songs page 399 - 412

Monolingual Samoan Texts

Tala Fa'a Samoa E Faitau Fa'atasi, Samoan Stories to Read Together by Fa'afetai Les and Peter Kobayashi preview on google books, available on amazon

Samoa News Blog

Anoafale O Le Gagana Ma Le Aganuu about language, culture and chief system, sample pages online

O Samoa Anamua complete book online (from 1884)

Le Tusi Paia the complete Bible in Samoan

The New Testament with long vowel markings

About Samoan Culture (in English)

Articles about Samoa in the Encyclopedia of New Zealand

Samoan Culture

Blog about Everyday Life in Samoa

Savage Symbols Documentary about Samoan tattoos

Bizarre Foods Samoa

Island Beats TV videos of and about Pacific music

An Introduction to Samoan Custom

Some Folk Songs and Myths from Samoa

An Account of Samoan History up to 1918 with some geographical and culture specific

Edited by druckfehler on 13 January 2013 at 2:11am

5 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 3 of 17
25 February 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
I've thought about dabbling with Samoan before, but never did. One of the main reasons was I didn't think there were enough resources for doing learning Samoan, but you've just solved that problem. I'll just have to stick to my excuse that the Samoan speakers in Washington fall into two categories: Those that speak no English and those that speak excellent English. Well, there is one minor issue, I'm already supposedly learning other languages.

Edited by mick33 on 25 February 2012 at 2:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4746 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 4 of 17
25 February 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Wow that song is awesome! Thanks for the link.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 5 of 17
25 February 2012 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
It's great to read that I'm not the only forum member with an interest in Samoan! How did you get the idea to study it? I hope you eventually give in to Samoan and join me on this journey ;)

There are lots of talented Samoan/Polynesian singers and musicians, lots of music can be found on youtube, usually sung in harmony. I hope to learn some vocabulary by translating lyrics. I'll post another song I really like: E le galo oe by Vaniah Toloa

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 6 of 17
29 February 2012 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Phonology of Samoan

A couple of things about Samoan phonology are pretty fascinating.

Native Samoan words only use 10 consonants and one of them is a glottal stop marked as '. The other consonants are F, G (pronounced "ng"), L, M, N, P, S, T and V. Add to that the fact that Samoan syllables may only start, but not end with a consonant (thereby ruling out consonant clusters), this naturally makes it a rather vowel-heavy language.

There seem to be many minimal pairs that are only distinguished by vowel length. Vowel length determines meaning, so I'd argue that Samoan has 10 vowels, both long and short versions of A, E, I, O, U. The long versions are formally denoted as Ā, Ē, Ī, Ō, Ū, but in practice the lengthening signs are often omitted.

Loan words come largely from Greek, Latin (thanks to the missionaries) and English. For these loan words the consonants H, K and R were added to the Samoan alphabet. All other letters are assimilated by turning B into P, D into T and so on. This rule combined with the impossibility of consonant clusters makes for some interesting conversions: "club" becomes "kalapu", "stocking" becomes "se totoni", "herring" becomes "elegi" (spoken elengi) and - my absolute favourite - "wire" becomes "uaea".

Finally, it's absolutely stunning that there are two registers of speech which are most of all distinguished by the replacement of certain consonants. In one register T is replaced by K and N is replaced by G (and the R in loanwords is replaced by L).
I'll quote from the Phonology section of The Digital Polyglot, because it does a good job of explaining this phenomenon:
Quote:
Perhaps the most remarkable part of Samoan phonology is the existence of two different phonological registers. The Samoans call these registers tautala lelei ("good speech") and tautala leanga ("bad speech"). The former is always used in writing and most often used in Western-inspired activities such as church sermons, radio broadcasts and school events. The latter, tautala leanga, is utilized in everyday casual conversation as well as traditional events such as fono (village council meetings), the ceremonial bestowal of titles, funerals, and other ritual events (Shore 1982, Duranti 1994). "Good speech" should not be thought of as formal pronunciation, nor should "bad speech" be considered informal or colloquial speech. It is this "bad speech" which is the register that is utilized in traditional formal oratory - a greatly respected skill in Samoa. Although the choice of register is very much activity bound, one does nonetheless experience a fair amount of code-switching between the two forms (see Duranti 1990).

I also read somewhere that Samoans may dislike it when palagi (non-Samoans, especially European westerners/Caucasians) use the K-style or tautala leanga. It seems then that Samoan has different phonological registers for traditional and western contexts, which is something I've never yet come across in another language (maybe the closest would be the former use of a completely different language for science and religion?) and I wonder how it came into being.

Edited by druckfehler on 29 February 2012 at 3:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 7 of 17
05 October 2012 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to New Zealand being the guest of honor at this year's Frankfurt Book Fair there will be several events with Samoan artists! It's really rare to see anything about Pacific island culture around here, so I want to go to as many events as I can. What a pity that I didn't learn any Samoan yet... - except for learning the lyrics of two songs by heart with no idea what they mean :D

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 8 of 17
07 October 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the tips, I'd really like to learn a Polynesian language and Samoan seems
to have a few resources. i'm particularly interested in its grammar, is it all based in
topics like Maori?

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version