Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 19
26 February 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Now that I think of it, I don't think the grammar terms would be the worst trouble. After all, most are quite similar in French and English. What I would more worry about is the translation of dialogues.

If you really have too few resources for your target languages and want to learn them before French, I'd say you should use the Assimil anyways. The listening material with transcripts is worth it no matter that you it will be a bit harder to use for you. I guess that is what you wanted to hear :-D (and I have no bad consience about saying it)It just may not work as a perfect stand alone course for you as if it was the English based one.
3 persons have voted this message useful

MichaelM204351
Diglot
United States
Joined 5226 days ago

151 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 18 of 19
27 February 2012 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
That's a valid point, Cavesa... Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 19 of 19
27 February 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
My French isn't great, but I've used French-based Assimil texts & found it useful. I
agree that you might want to supplement with some English-based texts, even if they are
simple overviews. Overall, I think it's an excellent idea, especially for languages
that don't have a lot of English-based resources.

You might miss a lot of slang words and idioms, but I don't trust language courses to
teach slang so this wasn't an issue for me.

Interestingly, I sampled a French-based Michel Thomas course, and couldn't follow it at
all.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version