Diglot
United States
Joined 5156 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 6
25 February 2012 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone used the Atlas Shrugged Spanish audio book (La Rebelion de Atlas)? Is it well narrated? How is the pace of the narrator? Is the Spanish translation good? I am thinking of using it for my next Spanish learning project, but I don't want to use it if the narrator speaks too fast or if the translation from the English is poor. I have read the English version and my Spanish level is a solid B-1 so I am thinking this would be somewhat of a challenge (and possibly too difficult if the narrator speaks too fast). The sample on audible is not part of the actual book, it is just a speaker talking about the author. If anyone has any thoughts on the audio book or the Spanish translation I would appreciate it before I buy them.

1 person has voted this message useful

Mowli
Triglot
Norway
Joined 4704 days ago

19 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Mandarin

Message 2 of 6
26 February 2012 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
The sample from Audible IS from the book. It's the introduction. It's the same person reading the rest of the book, in the same speed.

I have bought it, but I am using it for listenig-reading so I am not really in any position to say if it is a bad or good translation. (Since I can't understand enough Spanish to tell.)

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5156 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 3 of 6
27 February 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Thank you, Mowli. Your comments are very helpful. If the rest of the book is similar tone/pace as the sample on Audible I think I will go for it. I'd be interested in hearing how well you like it for listening/reading as I will be doing basically the same thing with it.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5599 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 4 of 6
27 February 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
I haven't seen a great number of audiobooks for Spanish but if you're looking for some
more:

- 'Demons and Angels' has one (bit dramatic but pretty good, not sure about the
translation as I haven't read it in English but it seemed pretty good)
- 'A Song of Ice and Fire' has most of the series translated/in audio (reading it at
the mo, pretty good translation, especially as I've heard the French and German ones
aren't very good)
- Some of the older texts have audio (Cervantes, Lazarrillo de Tormes) but sometimes
archaic vocabulary and questionable translations (they're stuck between being accurate,
true to the time, being modern etc.)
- Various forms of the Bible however as they're both translations of a different
language they're not typically in sync (in my experience).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mowli
Triglot
Norway
Joined 4704 days ago

19 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Mandarin

Message 5 of 6
27 February 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Thank you, Mowli. Your comments are very helpful. If the rest of the book is similar tone/pace as the sample on Audible I think I will go for it. I'd be interested in hearing how well you like it for listening/reading as I will be doing basically the same thing with it.

It is the same tone/pace as the sample.

It seems to mostly follow the English translation I've got (Kindle version from amazon), but the introduction is longer in Spanish and some places I can't really follow, but I think that is mostly because of my lack of Spanish and not because the English and Spanish versions are to different.

I have found the narrator good and pleasant to listen to for a long time.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5156 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 6 of 6
28 February 2012 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
This is a great exaple of how useful this forum is. Thanks for the input. This has motivated me to tackle Atlas Shrugged. I was slightly reluctant because it is such a long book and I was not sure about the narration. The narrator on audible does indeed sound pretty good and speaks at a good pace.

On Angels and Demons, you are right... that narrator is amazingly dramatic. I have been tempted to do that book (and/or the Da Vinci Code) simply because that narrator sounds so good. The third book in that series seems to be narrated by someone else.

The Bible, too, is a great resource. There are tons of free audio books out there in hundreds of languages.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version