Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 22
27 February 2012 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
tibbles wrote:
Keep in mind that the "i" in "chi" has nothing in relation to the "i" in "ji" or "qi".

True. This is why people normally learn initials and finals when learning pinyin. If you do that, this issue isn't a concern. I
recommend that all beginners work with one of the many free initial/final pinyin tables with sound for a few hours.

tibbles wrote:
Anyways, just pronounce the "q" and "ch" like in the word cheese, and you will be understood everywhere.
Similarly for "j" and "zh" -> "john". And finally "x" and "sh" -> "sheep".

Please don't do this unless it's a last resort. The sounds are different, so you should learn them.

OneEye wrote:
Sorry, but this is incorrect. The difference between ch/zh, q/j, etc. is that the first is aspirated, while the
second is not. Neither is voiced.

When I think of aspirated vs non-aspirated, I think of pairs like p/b, where I feel a little puff of air for p but not for b. I don't
doubt that someone has classified these as aspirated vs non-aspirated, but I don't think this is helpful in figuring out the how
to pronounce them.

What is helpful is talking about things like tongue position, and doing a transformation on something the learner already
knows how to pronounce to get to the new pronunciation. This is why I think Arekkusu's post was more helpful than nway's,
but stelingo's was easily the most helpful of all. I'll only add that It's very helpful to work your way through the pronunciation
unit in FSI Mandarin. It's free, and adds some information that sinosplice is missing.

2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 10 of 22
28 February 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
This is why I took two weeks just on initials and finals last year in my intro period to Mandarin, probably more hardcore than most people. After the first couple of days (because it was all new), repeating the same drills got really boring, but by the end I had really gotten the sounds down.

This was a few months ago (because my focus has remained French and German). Now that I'm slowly shifting focus from "intensive grammar and learning" in those two to more "volume reading, vocab building, writing, and speech", I'm moving back to Mandarin (more permanently). I have reviewed the sound system and its come back much faster this time. Plus, I have the advantage of having learned IPA and the lingo in the meantime (alveolar, alveo-palatal, labial, velar, etc, etc), plus the technical stuff like aspiration, glottal, voiced, central pulmonic, side pulmonic, blade of tongue, tongue body, etc, etc, etc...

All that allowed me this time around to pinpoint the tongue placement almost to a science. My Chinese affricates (the ones that give us westerners the most problems) are if I may say quite close to native form I believe. Of course it's one thing to say them in isolation words and another in full phrases, but everyone says that the most important thing is to learn pronounciation right the first time (as much as you are dying to dive into the language itself), and it will be 1000 times better than having to undo bad habits. Which in Chinese because it has far fewer sylables is far more important, as each sound has a very small margin of error.

Knowledge of the terminology above has also made it far easier to remember things like when the "u" is rounded or unrounded, and when the "i" is only holding the consonant sound (for the retroflexes zh, ch, sh and the alveolars c, s, z). And more.

I'm still having serious problems discering "in" vs "ing" finals, but I hope that just comes with time.

1 person has voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5505 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 11 of 22
28 February 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:

OneEye wrote:
Sorry, but this is incorrect. The difference between ch/zh, q/j, etc. is
that the first is aspirated, while the
second is not. Neither is voiced.

When I think of aspirated vs non-aspirated, I think of pairs like p/b, where I feel a
little puff of air for p but not for b. I don't
doubt that someone has classified these as aspirated vs non-aspirated, but I don't
think this is helpful in figuring out the how
to pronounce them.

What is helpful is talking about things like tongue position, and doing a
transformation on something the learner already
knows how to pronounce to get to the new pronunciation. This is why I think Arekkusu's
post was more helpful than nway's,
but stelingo's was easily the most helpful of all. I'll only add that It's very helpful
to work your way through the pronunciation
unit in FSI Mandarin. It's free, and adds some information that sinosplice is missing.

How is this at all unhelpful? The aspiration difference is the main distinction between
the phoneme pairs. This is completely orthogonal to the issue of the tongue position of
said pairs, which you say is more important/helpful. Aren't they both important?

edit: Are you saying that you don't feel ch/c/q to be aspirated as you don't feel the
puff of air? If not, then what do you consider to be the difference between them and
their unaspirated counterparts?

Edited by egill on 28 February 2012 at 9:59am

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5056 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 12 of 22
29 February 2012 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
IMO, the absolute, hands-down best pronunciation guide I've found for these consonants is
at chinese">Sinosplice. Ever since I started working on pronouncing things like he
describes in that article, I have received nothing but complements on my pronunciation
from natives and foreigners alike. I highly recommend it.

Edited by BobbyE on 29 February 2012 at 9:44am

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 13 of 22
29 February 2012 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
egill wrote:
How is this at all unhelpful? The aspiration difference is the main distinction between
the phoneme pairs. This is completely orthogonal to the issue of the tongue position of
said pairs, which you say is more important/helpful. Aren't they both important?

edit: Are you saying that you don't feel ch/c/q to be aspirated as you don't feel the
puff of air? If not, then what do you consider to be the difference between them and
their unaspirated counterparts?

I interpreted the question to be "how do I produce and recognize" rather than "what's the difference between" the sounds,
because I sensed that's what the op needed, but maybe I was wrong. Anyway, I am almost 100% ignorant of linguistic
terms, as you can see from my very basic description of aspiration.

Regardless, even if someone told a well versed person like yourself that the difference in the sounds was aspiration, I
doubt if that would help you produce or recognize the sounds. Tongue position is much more helpful for me, provided I
have something to listen to. L1 examples plus a transformation, ala sinosplice, is the best of all, imo.

If you want to know how I'd describe the differences, just read the descriptions in sinosplice. Imo, it's much more useful
than linguistic terms, especially for people who don't know them. For example:
Sinosplice wrote:

:: J, Q, X ::
You probably know these sounds as the “bizarro” “j,” “ch,” and “sh.” You might be pronouncing them like “j,” “ch,” and
“sh.” That’s not correct, though, and your Chinese will never sound really good until you learn to pronounce j, q, and x
correctly.
Make an English “ch” sound. Feel what’s happening in your mouth as you make it. Make the “ch” several more times. Where
is your tongue? Where exactly is the sound coming from?
You should be able to determine that your tongue is touching the roof of your mouth to make the sound, and the sound is
coming from that place. OK, good.
To make q the sound comes from the same place in your mouth, but you need to reposition your tongue. Instead of
curving up to put the tip on that place on the roof of your mouth, let your tongue flop down to the bottom of your mouth.
The tip of your tongue should be right behind your lower front teeth, just touching them.
Now comes the tricky part. Bend your tongue upward to that place on the roof of your mouth without moving the tip of
your tongue. Whatever you do, make sure that the tip of your tongue stays touching your lower front teeth! Your tongue
should be able to flex upward in the middle. Basically you’re just raising your entire tongue toward the roof of your mouth,
but leaving the tip touching your lower front teeth.
In that position, try to make the “ch” sound. Remember, the sound should come from the same place. You can feel if it’s
coming from the same place on the roof of your mouth. If it is, then you did it. That’s the Mandarin q.
Be patient. Don’t expect to get it in 2 minutes. It takes time and experimentation to get it right. It’s worth the effort,
though.
Below is an illustration that might help (taken from Patrick Moran’s site at Wake Forest University).
etc.

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4508 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 14 of 22
29 February 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Serisously, Wulfgar, I don't think you know what aspiration means. It has nothing to do with tongue position, it's more or less the way you breathe.

And using voicing instead of aspiration to describe the difference is not a good idea either, the distinctive feature is aspiration, not voicing. If you say the difference is in voicing, you may confuse people.
4 persons have voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6659 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 15 of 22
29 February 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Really, better just to say you're unfamiliar with the terminology and then explain it in your own terms than to use legitimate, established terms in the wrong way.

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 16 of 22
29 February 2012 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:
Serisously, Wulfgar, I don't think you know what aspiration means. It has nothing to do
with tongue position, it's more or less the way you breathe.

I said I know very little about aspiration and other linguistic terms, and I didn't say aspiration had anything to do
with the tongue.
OneEye wrote:
Really, better just to say you're unfamiliar with the terminology and then explain it in your own
terms than to use legitimate, established terms in the wrong way.

That's exactly what I did.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version