Diglot
Canada
Joined 7020 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 9 of 23
29 February 2012 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 

I just read the reviews on Amazon.fr

Majority of the criticism is more on the new version of the Assimil method as a whole being worse, than previous versions. The other problem is the new version is just a boring imitation of the old version. I still have not read much substantial evidence of what makes the new version bad also.

I recall the audio for the old version had the thickest French accent in an Assimil course for a foreign language other than the French course. I would even say the accent was more than the Esperanto course. The new Latin version I did not notice this and thought the dialogue was smoother.

One positive review is suspicious, due to the same reviewer giving positive reviews to Ancient Greek three different times.
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5207 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 10 of 23
29 February 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
You can find a review of the new Latin Assimil .there (in French). It's not very detailed but the writer claims to have found about 100 errors in the first 30 lessons (translation and notes not included).

Quote:
The other problem is the new version is just a boring imitation of the old version.
This is surprising. In my opinion, the major difference between the two is the fact that the old Assimil is geared towards living Latin when the new aims "only" at Classical Latin.

Itikar
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4468 days ago

94 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 11 of 23
29 February 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Regarding the Italian version of the course, they prepared new remastered audio, and it will soon be available. I phoned there and an employee told me they thought they would release them for the beginning of March 2012; or at least I hope they will do so. -_-

The new audio will consist of 6 CD with all the lessons both with classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations.

Source:
http://www.assimil.it/dev/dettaglio.php?isbn=9788886968935&F ROM=search

edit:
I don't know if the audio is the same of the old version, I wrote "remastered" since they actually made the audio CDs for the course, because before it had compact cassettes.

I remember also I read in their news they did some registrations, and this is why the CDs are being released with so much delay, but unfortunately I cannot track that message anymore. :(

edit2:
Got it!
http://www.assimil.it/dev/opinioni.php?page=2
Last message "registrazioni corso di latino": they did new registrations in Turin with Italian actors.

"registrazioni corso di latino
Gentile Editore, desidererei sapere se è confermata l'uscita delle nuove registrazioni del corso di latino di Desessard nel corrente mese di febbraio. Le chiedo inoltre conferma del fatto che gli attori siano italofoni e non francofoni. Grazie.
--- --- ---
La ringraziamo per averci scritto e le confermiamo che le incisioni relative al corso di latino di Desessard saranno disponibili entro la fine del mese o al massimo nei primi giorni di marzo. Le incisioni sono state realizzate a Torino da lettori professionisti di madrelingua Italiana, sia per la pronuncia ecclesiastica che per quella restituta. Le sessioni di registrazione sono poi state presiedute da un professore esperto in questo campo e il cofanetto conterrà sei cd audio (tre per ciascuna pronuncia).
Assimil Italia"

Edited by Itikar on 29 February 2012 at 10:41pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 23
29 February 2012 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for that akkadboy - having worked through the review he does give some substance
examples to provide substance to what Hampie is saying - although 100 errors is a nice
round number - exaggeration?

As an aside (if I may be permitted) forgive me if my French is not good enough to pick up
on register, but wasn't the reviewer writing in an overtly hyperbolic, even somewhat
pompous, style? Does that go to credit in French writing or, as in English, does it show
that he is a bit of a nutter?
2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7020 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 13 of 23
01 March 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
akkadboy wrote:

Quote:
The other problem is the new version is just a boring imitation of the old version.
This is surprising. In my opinion, the major difference between the two is the fact that the old Assimil is geared towards living Latin when the new aims "only" at Classical Latin.

The reviewer in Amazon.fr did not give any real concrete reasons for the dislike mainly stating the new version is not good and a boring imitation.

Thanks akkadboy for giving us the update. Itikar this is great news with an Italian base and audio with Italian actors set for release. I would think this is closer to how Latin would have sounded like. As long, as the previous audio with the heavy French accent is not in the new one, it should sound significantly better. I intend on using my other Latin programs before tackling Assimil and I hope by then, I will be knowledgeable enough to figure out the mistakes in Le Latin.

Le Latin reminds me of the French docudrama of Rome.
The speech is smooth to my untrained Latin hearing ears, but some criticisms were made about stress in speech and soft C for Ceaser instead of a hard sound. If you want to hear some of it click here.

Edited by alang on 01 March 2012 at 1:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5097 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 14 of 23
01 March 2012 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:

Le Latin reminds me of the French docudrama of Rome.
The speech is smooth to my untrained Latin hearing ears, but some criticisms were made about stress in speech and soft C for Ceaser instead of a hard sound. If you want to hear some of it click here.

That's terrible, one could use this to torture any inhabitant of the Roman empire who ever lived, Greek slaves and Germanic mercenaries included ...
(I am talking about the youtube clip, not Le Latin which I don't know yet, but it can only be better. They won't put all the stress accents on random syllables e.g., that's for sure.)

Edited by lingoleng on 01 March 2012 at 2:21am

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 15 of 23
01 March 2012 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
The latin pronunciation in that YouTube clip sound nothing like the pronunciation in the newer Assimil Le
Latin - Cs are hard not soft, V are 'w's' rather than v's, etc.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7020 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 16 of 23
01 March 2012 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
The latin pronunciation in that YouTube clip sound nothing like the pronunciation in the newer Assimil Le
Latin - Cs are hard not soft, V are 'w's' rather than v's, etc.

Good thing, as The Destiny of Rome is the one criticized for those very errors. As why I thought they reminded me of one another, due to being a French production of actors being able to speak in a quick manner. Unfortunately my ears are not accustomed to how Latin is suppose to be pronounced.

@Elexi,
Do you feel the pronunciation in Le Latin is of high quality to be considered for shadowing and imitation?

The Latin programs I have are with English speakers, and of course the latest Assimil course for French speakers. Minimus by Barbara Bell intended for children is what I intend on starting with.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version