Diglot
United States
Joined 4592 days ago

34 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Greek, Italian

Message 1 of 12
28 February 2012 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
I have been trying for weeks to find literature in modern Greek but it is proving rather difficult. I've tried searching everything and its like it doesn't even exist, even Harry Potter could only be found in Ancient Greek on Amazon. Do any of you have any ideas of where I might be able to find something?
1 person has voted this message useful

Rincewind
Tetraglot
Brazil
Joined 4511 days ago

19 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian

Message 2 of 12
28 February 2012 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Well, there's lots of Greek literature on Project Gutenber, including modern:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/el

For buying a hardcopy, I suppose the best way would be to decide on an author or a title, and search for the title in the original. You might have to order it directly from Greece or any of the other Greek speaking countries.

This might also help:
http://www.snhell.gr/en/index.html

Stephen7878
Diglot
United States
Joined 4592 days ago

34 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Greek, Italian

Message 3 of 12
29 February 2012 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks, I checked out both websites and they seem pretty interesting, i noticed a lot of poetry on the second one. I also found this site(www.books-in-greek.gr). I would consider myself intermediate at Greek so I was looking for something more along the lines of Harry Potter or The Hobbit or something similar which I was able to find on that site.

Rincewind
Tetraglot
Brazil
Joined 4511 days ago

19 posts - 35 votes

Message 4 of 12
29 February 2012 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Well, I personally avoid translations like the plague. I'm a firm believer that one needs to read texts written originally in the target language.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 12
29 February 2012 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Stephen7878 wrote:
I have been trying for weeks to find literature in modern Greek but it is proving rather difficult. I've tried searching everything and its like it doesn't even exist, even Harry Potter could only be found in Ancient Greek on Amazon. Do any of you have any ideas of where I might be able to find something?

I just did a quick search on Amazon and got lots results for modern Greek literature. Does it have to be Harry Potter? And it looks like they offer a good range of other children's books in Greek, too.

The search term I used was "modern fiction" in books, then filtered by just "Greek" (not "Ancient Greek".)

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 29 February 2012 at 12:17pm

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5109 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 6 of 12
29 February 2012 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Rincewind wrote:
Well, I personally avoid translations like the plague. I'm a firm believer that one needs to read texts written originally in the target language.

Just out of curiosity: What exactly happens to a person with ridiculously low standards like me who reads (many) translated books? Some kind of lethal linguistic infection? Condemnation even? Or worst of all: Serious loss of intellectual reputation?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rincewind
Tetraglot
Brazil
Joined 4511 days ago

19 posts - 35 votes

Message 7 of 12
29 February 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Well, maybe the state of the translation market in Germany is not as bad as it is in Brazil, but here the situation is really terrible, and I can tell if a book has been translated from reading just a few lines. Publishing companies are either hiring the lowest paid translators or they're doing it themselves via Google Translate.

You're reputation is safe, but if you read foreign language books translated into Portuguese, you risk learning very awkward unnatural contrusctions that nobody uses.

Hopefully, the situation is different in other countries, but I'd really much rather read originals only, unless I can't help it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 12
01 March 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Rincewind wrote:
Well, maybe the state of the translation market in Germany is not as bad as it is in Brazil, but here the situation is really terrible, and I can tell if a book has been translated from reading just a few lines. Publishing companies are either hiring the lowest paid translators or they're doing it themselves via Google Translate.

You're reputation is safe, but if you read foreign language books translated into Portuguese, you risk learning very awkward unnatural contrusctions that nobody uses.

Hopefully, the situation is different in other countries, but I'd really much rather read originals only, unless I can't help it.

The situation varies drastically by publisher, time, and translator. Most contemporary translations into English strike me as well-structured English, though full of gratuitous changes. The situation with translation into German and Italian is similar: stilted prose seems a little more common, but the contents are often a bit closer to the original. Any individual translation can violate these norms in any direction.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version