piranha
Italy
Joined 5119 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Italian*

Message 1 of 6
01 March 2012 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
hi guys,

I need your opinion about some Russian courses.

what is your opinion about Assimil Russian version (in Italy is called ''Il Russo'')
what you think about it? is better than the previous ''Nouveau russe sans peine'' with
70 lessons?.

Finally, today I bought from ebay(for 30 euro) a Linguaphone Russian course published
in 1988 with 4 books and 9 audio cassettes. What do you think, I made ​​a good buy?

Thanks in advance
1 person has voted this message useful

Itikar
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4468 days ago

94 posts - 158 votes 

Message 2 of 6
01 March 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
I used the "Il nuovo russo senza sforzo" and I was really very satisfied.

I don't know how it is the new version, but from the data on the catalogues I read it has 30 lessons more. The old course had 70 lessons, but there were many digressions, some small poems (i.e. я вас любил by Pushkin) and also several quotes from famous works of Dostoyevskij, Tolstoj, Pushkin, Cechov and so on. It was nice.

I think I will buy at least the book also of the new course with 100 lessons to see how it is like. The more the merrier. :P

Personally on Italian base I found also very good, in its manner, the course "Как дела" by Cevese and Kukushkina (actually I am doing that course).

As consultive text also the grammar by Julia Dobrovolskaja is still very good as a consultive text, although for some aspects it is a bit dated.
There is also a Russian course by this author but, as the grammar, although good, it is a bit dated too. I heard also it is a bit literary oriented, but this is not bad at all. :)

About Linguaphone I don't know very much.

Edited by Itikar on 01 March 2012 at 10:05pm

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6945 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 3 of 6
02 March 2012 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
I think the Linguaphone purchase was a good buy. There is much to like about Linguaphone, especially the older courses.

The recordings are entirely in the target language and they supply good explanations in the books. They are pretty much a complete language course. I have seen the Russian course and I think I liked it. I don't know if it was the same course.

I have recently bought the Swedish course and I am very happy with it. In fact, I have Linguaphone Portuguese (good) Chinese (not so good but I haven't really applied myself to it) Latin American Spanish, Italian and Indonesian. The Italian was bought on eBay with 78rpm records but I was able to download the audio from the Internet and make audio CDs. I bought the Swedish course from Linguaphone, England, as reconditioned but it appears to be brand new.

I wish you success with your study.

Edited by fanatic on 02 March 2012 at 10:30am

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5374 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 4 of 6
02 March 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I've used both the 70 and 100 lesson Assimil books for Russian (in Spanish and French).
Both are very good, the 70 lesson book is "harder" (less progressive). My advice is to do
the 100 lesson book, then the 70 lesson book and then finish off with Linguaphone (which
is a bit outdated, but still very good) as it has drills to reinforce what one has
learned.
2 persons have voted this message useful

piranha
Italy
Joined 5119 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes

Message 5 of 6
20 March 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
I appreciated yours advice!

Last week I received old Linguaphone Russian course(9 tape and 4 books)published in
1974 in collaboration with Radio Moscow and republished in 1988.

The first impression is very good and I think I made ​​a good buy!

Also, I read some reviews on the new Assimil russian course called ''Le Russe''and
seems to be pretty good and It shows all the phonetic transcription in the first 20 or
21 lessons!

Thank you all for your help

Edited by piranha on 20 March 2012 at 4:23pm

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6032 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 6
21 March 2012 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
The Linguaphone 1974 Russian was still being sold on cd 3 years ago. It is very well done. I recommend it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version