Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4742 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 25 of 32
08 March 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Longer than "half" that if counted from chin but shorten than that if remove those "ununited" in between. I was thinking about the invention of characters when I typed that......Sorry for that. From my limited history knowledge, I want to point out that even in those ununited time, union was a eternal dream. they just lack of capacity to do that.

Edited by lindseylbb on 08 March 2012 at 5:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 26 of 32
08 March 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
^ But before the Qin, the writing system wasn't unified. Qin Shihuang standardized the writing system of all his
conquered territories by burning all the books written in the wrong characters and killing all the scholars who took
issue with that.
4 persons have voted this message useful

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4984 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 27 of 32
08 March 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Wow. That's such a big loss. Did they at least keep the old characters around for
historical purposes?

Edited by HenryMW on 09 March 2012 at 12:01am

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5506 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 28 of 32
09 March 2012 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
HenryMW wrote:
Wow. That's such a big loss. Did they at least keep the old characters around for
historical purposes?

I don't know how common they are, but there are of course archæological remains—most notably:
Sword of Guojian

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4742 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 29 of 32
09 March 2012 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Do better search, Ari. First, 书同文(union of script)and 焚书坑儒(burn books of different philosophies, while having copies in the government, and bury fellows of confucian ) were two different things, with different purpose and different actions. Second, there are debates on whenand how exactly 书同文 occured.
I should have said it's the dependence on characters which conbine largely with meanings, instead of phonics made us together. Chinese speeches, as you may know, vary a lot. So there are talks that how to define languages and dialects should be different because westerners dont understand how our system works and their system doesn't fit us etc etc. Not my opinion.

JasonYin
China
Joined 4454 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 30 of 32
09 March 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
haha maybe
2 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5225 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 31 of 32
09 March 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
lindseylbb wrote:
westerners dont understand how our system works

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few Westerners who do. It's not some "mystery" to Western Sinologists.

lindseylbb wrote:
and their system doesn't fit us etc etc. Not my opinion.

The concept of an alphabetic system is not "Western", unless you consider Korea, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Pakistan, Iran, and the Arab world to be part of the "West".

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4509 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 32 of 32
13 March 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
lindseylbb wrote:
I should have said it's the dependence on characters which conbine largely with meanings, instead of phonics made us together. Chinese speeches, as you may know, vary a lot. So there are talks that how to define languages and dialects should be different because westerners dont understand how our system works and their system doesn't fit us etc etc. Not my opinion.

You still need Mandarin grammar and vocabulary in order to read and write. So you don't have to learn the pronunciation, but otherwise it's not different from learning any other language.
Chinese has many sounds*, but that's nothing that can't be solved, even languages with more sounds use alphabets.

*I dont know how native speakers hear it, but it seems to me that there are more sounds than pinyin letters.

Edited by LaughingChimp on 13 March 2012 at 1:07am

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version