Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
icor1031
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

6 posts - 5 votes

Message 1 of 10
05 March 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Here are a couple of pages out of the book that I use to learn greek.

It's excellent, because:

#1, it shows you the English equivalent for each word.
Some times German-english translations are per sentence (i.e. there may be 5 German words, and 7 English words.). If you're new, you're not sure which German word equals which English word.. Because the word order might be changed, or because you had to add/remove words to make it translatable.

#2, it assumes you're an idiot. I did not know what nominative, dative, and accusative were.. Or pronouns, etc.
It explains them as you go.. HOWEVER, this is less important. I can learn them once and for all if needed.

#3, it explains the language rules as well. Word order, masculine vs feminine, etc.

There probably isn't a perfect book for me, but what is the best book to learn from?

Thanks!

These photos are taken of Christine Gatchell's book, Elementary Greek Year One.

Edited by icor1031 on 05 March 2012 at 8:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6945 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 2 of 10
05 March 2012 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
I take it that you like the method and would like to learn another language using this approach. Which language do you have in mind?

icor1031
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

6 posts - 5 votes

Message 3 of 10
05 March 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Woops! ... I thought I had it in the title, my mistake.

English TO German.. I'd like to learn German.

Yes, I love this method. It's incredibly easy.

Thanks.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5617 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 5 of 10
06 March 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
The example of this style (the translation aspect that is) has a few names but it's
typically a form of interlinear translation also known as the Hamiltonian System or the
Talbot system. It kind of existed a very long time ago but then died off for the most
part it seems. I'm pleased to see it 'revived' in a clear laymenesque book (I'm Mr
Laymen).

You can find more info at http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=26299&PN=0&TPN=1

There are a few problems one being that the books linked above are typically very old
and I believe that German especially has been heavily reformed (both in grammar and in
orthography) so they might not help you much for German. A second problem is that it's
rare to encounter such a pleasant approach to teaching you grammar in a language book
(as opposed to the 'This is the Genetive. Get used to it. End chapter 1'). I saw one
for Latin the other day but most are not as good as the above one you pictured appears
to be, nor do they use a similar style ('Getting Started with Latin' if you're curious.
You can see a preview on Amazon).

On the positive side though, once you understand the forms/grammar
structures/terminology of the book above, moving to a less informative style book
probably won't be such a big deal because you'll have the know-how already it's just
finding those kinds of books that'll be the tricky part.

If you or anyone else finds any more books that use an interlinear style like the one
pictured above or those in the link or alternatively, any as pleasant as the one above,
please mention them. I'd always appreciate having more books in this style. Thanks for
showing it.

Edited by crafedog on 06 March 2012 at 3:01pm

icor1031
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

6 posts - 5 votes

Message 6 of 10
06 March 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Crafedog,

Okay, I understand I probably won't find a German book like this. However, with in mind that I prefer this format - what's the best book you would suggest? (i.e., what's the closest to it, and is good quality in general, etc.?)

Thanks.

crafedog wrote:
The example of this style (the translation aspect that is) has a few names but it's
typically a form of interlinear translation also known as the Hamiltonian System or the
Talbot system. It kind of existed a very long time ago but then died off for the most
part it seems. I'm pleased to see it 'revived' in a clear laymenesque book (I'm Mr
Laymen).

You can find more info at http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=26299&PN=0&TPN=1

There are a few problems one being that the books linked above are typically very old
and I believe that German especially has been heavily reformed (both in grammar and in
orthography) so they might not help you much for German. A second problem is that it's
rare to encounter such a pleasant approach to teaching you grammar in a language book
(as opposed to the 'This is the Genetive. Get used to it. End chapter 1'). I saw one
for Latin the other day but most are not as good as the above one you pictured appears
to be, nor do they use a similar style ('Getting Started with Latin' if you're curious.
You can see a preview on Amazon).

On the positive side though, once you understand the forms/grammar
structures/terminology of the book above, moving to a less informative style book
probably won't be such a big deal because you'll have the know-how already it's just
finding those kinds of books that'll be the tricky part.

If you or anyone else finds any more books that use an interlinear style like the one
pictured above or those in the link or alternatively, any as pleasant as the one above,
please mention them. I'd always appreciate having more books in this style. Thanks for
showing it.

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5617 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 7 of 10
13 March 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Here is a German book I just got today. I haven't' started to use it so I don't know how it addresses your #2 and #3 points, but it does have the translations below the German
sentences. Here are 2 pages from about 1/3 of the way into the book:

Here is the book: German: How to Speak and Write It

I did see someone in the forums here mention that this book may be a bit dated, but for less than $8, I decided to grab it. It certainly couldn't be more dated than the FSI
German I'm trying to work my way through.

4 persons have voted this message useful

icor1031
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

6 posts - 5 votes

Message 8 of 10
15 March 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Looks pretty good.

Is it a problem if it's dated?

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version