9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4512 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 9
05 March 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what things to watch in Mandarin but with English subs?

I know theres sites such as "vikki, dramafans and dramacrazy" but theres so much to choose from, I would like to know if any are popular to other learners.

Or if anyone knows any good sites then please feel free to add them.

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5771 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 9
05 March 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
http://www.mysoju.com/
http://www.tudou.com/ (This one is in Chinese)

Penpen
China
Joined 4459 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 3 of 9
06 March 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
www.youku.com
www.xunlei.com
www.avistaz.com

Edited by Penpen on 06 March 2012 at 1:22am

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4483 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 4 of 9
06 March 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
JayR9 wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what things to watch in Mandarin but with English
subs?

I know theres sites such as "vikki, dramafans and dramacrazy" but theres so much to choose from, I would like to
know if any are popular to other learners

This is a tough call, because I don't know what you like. I recommend watching a few minutes of a show to see if you
like it. I also recommend you watch one with clear audio and video. I personally prefer shows that are "real life",
rather than fantasies, because I think the language is more common. I like at least some of the actors to be good
looking. Regarding the way you watch - I strongly recommend you watch without English subtitles the first time, then
turn them on the second time. You'll get much more out of it that way.

For reviews, you can always google "best mandarin dramas" or something similar; I believe there are a lot of lists out
there. Good luck!

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4512 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 5 of 9
06 March 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Snowflake and Penpen for your new websites and your reply.

Wulfgar, thank you for your reply and yes I like "real life" more aswel and so far I have just watched whatever people have commented on, on the sites.
Yes I agree it is nice to watch something with a good looking person in.

Do you mean to watch the whole series first without subtitles, or just each episode at a time?

Thanks again

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 9
06 March 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
If your Mandarin isn't already quite good, I suspect you'll get little out of watching it without subtitles. You'll also probably get little out of watching it with subtitles, too, though. This is a motivational tool and entertainment, not a language learning method.

Actually, you can get a lot out of watching series and movies, but only once your Mandarin is pretty good.

I'd give you my recommendations for TV series, but I'm more into the "fantastic flying heroes with magical powers" genre.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4512 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 7 of 9
06 March 2012 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Ari, I am using it for my listening improvement and am enjoying watching something at the same time.

My Mandarin is only very early stage but I can still seem to pick out words which makes me feel good and the more I learn, hopefully I will hear.

I am not spending hours and hours but it is just something to do for a change instead of constantly trying to learn. But at the same time still trying to surround myself in the language, If that makes sense.

Once I get more into them, I will ask for your recommendations on them as I still enjoy all them aswel.

Thank you

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4483 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 8 of 9
06 March 2012 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
JayR9 wrote:
Do you mean to watch the whole series first without subtitles, or just each episode at a time?

Even less than that - the episodes are typically divided up into 10 min chunks, more or less. I suggest watching one
chunk without English subtitles, then watch it again with. The nice thing about Viki is you can turn the subtitles off
and on easily, so you can experiment.

I sort of agree and disagree with Ari. You aren't going to get big instant results. A small chunk may be just as
beneficial as an hour at this point. But you need to do a lot of listening to native material so that you can eventually
understand it. No better time to start than now - this is a very important language learning technique, as well as
entertainment.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version