Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 33 of 40
31 October 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
And I hesitate to ask her about that.

I encourage you to be honest with her and ask directly as if it were nothing important. It's nothing to be
ashamed of, for sure. To me, anyway, it's the same as asking if the person is wearing contact lenses or
needs reading glasses. It's an important part of her life and I doubt she'd be ashamed to discuss it with
you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5319 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 34 of 40
04 November 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm surprised to hear some people with "real" hearing problems can't understand CDs.
Apparently my hearing is normal, but I always seem to have problems understanding when
conditions aren't optimal, and I find CDs ideal.

Perhaps the problem is, that the bass frequencies are often a bit weak. Have you tried
turning up the bass, or ripping the files and using the "bast boost" or equaliser
effects
in audacity?

Telephones are even more extreme and lose information from both ends of the spectrum (I
believe).

Edit: On the other hand, I do find all the non-speech sounds they sometimes put on CDs
intensely distracting - jingles, background music, sound effects, beeps and tones, etc.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 04 November 2013 at 1:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 35 of 40
04 November 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
Apparently my hearing is normal, but I always seem to have problems understanding when conditions aren't optimal, and I find CDs ideal.

Perhaps the problem is, that the bass frequencies are often a bit weak. Have you tried turning up the bass, or ripping the files and using the "bast boost" or equaliser effects in audacity?

Obiously, CDs ARE optimal, and the problem has to do with your playback method. My hearing issues are not severe, but I've never identified CDs as the source of any problem.

As for your recommendation to increase the bass, most speech is not affected by bass, and most hearing loss begins in the upper register, so it's usually having too much bass that's a problem, not the other way around (although individual situations differ).

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5319 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 36 of 40
06 November 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I realise my problems aren't the same as people with real hearing problems,
but here is an example of what I'm talking about. The quality of this clip is not the
worst I've heard, but I couldn't find any other examples.

">download clip

The other tracks on this CD were fine, so it's not a general problem with the overall
production but I assume that on this track, the sound recording was poorly set up.

I find the "a" sounds and dipthongs in "ein" "dann" und "aus" rather unpleasant to
hear. It's almost like my ears get hit by the pressure wave from passing traffic, and
my eardrums get jangled. It's not just because the amplitude is too great. I can reduce
that, and it's still unpleasant, but if I use bass boost to correct the audio spectrum,
then it sound a bit nicer. My problem may be my distractability, rather than an actual
hearing problem.

I also thought of another thing that could make language CDs harder to understand for
some people, which is, they still seem to often be spoken in a rather unnatural tone of
voice.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 06 November 2013 at 3:48pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 40
06 November 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Fixed link

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4410 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 38 of 40
07 November 2013 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:

I also thought of another thing that could make language CDs harder to understand for
some people, which is, they still seem to often be spoken in a rather unnatural tone of
voice.

And here, good sir, you hit the nail on the head, because we often use tone/cadence to fill us in when we mishear something.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 39 of 40
07 November 2013 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
schoenewaelder wrote:

voice.

And here, good sir, you hit the nail on the head, because we often use tone/cadence to fill us in when we mishear something.

No visual clues, either.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4410 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 40 of 40
02 February 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Gemuse found a great article which mentions the role of language as such in life and communication.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/07/how-deaf-peo ple-think

Also, I'm writing my MA on the topic, and I'm halfway through it (literature review almost done) :D

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version