Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
COF
United States
Joined 5630 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 5
08 March 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Considering Hungarian is substantially different, and arguably more complex than most Indo-European languages, how far could I expect to get with Assimil Hungarian in comparison to more similar languages like Assimil French, Assimil German, etc?

It's fairly well excepted that if a native English speaker starts with Assimil French, Assimil Spanish, Assimil German, etc, then upon completing it they can expect to have achieve an intermediate level.

Upon completing Hungarian, could I expect to be at an intermediate level like I would expect for French, German, etc, or would I merely be at the upper beginner stage?

Edited by COF on 08 March 2012 at 2:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 2 of 5
11 March 2012 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
I've used Assimil Hungarian (almost) all the way through during my study of Hungarian.

Personally, I love their approach and it's also my favorite course for Hungarian. I like
how they teach the vocabulary, the dialogues and slowly one starts absorbing the
essentials. It's great for what it is, in my opinion there's no other book for Hungarian
out there as good as Assimil. I've tried Teach Yourself and some others but I didn't like
them.

I'd say your command in the language after completing the course would be of a A2 (or
maybe B1) level, but it might take longer to absorb all the content in the book since
most of the vocabulary will be alien to you and so will be the syntax.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ikinaridango
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5924 days ago

61 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: German, Polish

Message 3 of 5
13 March 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Koba, I note that Assimil's Hungarian course has only 85 lessons, as opposed to the more
customary tally of 100. To the best of your knowledge are the individual lessons (and by
extension the recordings) on average of a greater length than those of other Assimil
courses? You seem satisfied with the course and I assume that you feel in no way short-
changed. I understand that length is not necessarily related to quality of content, but I
am curious nevertheless.

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 4 of 5
14 March 2012 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
In my opinion the course is very complete and organized and the quality is excellent. I
don't think it's inferior to any other Assimil edition, perhaps there's a little less
content if you count how many words you will have learned at the end of the course, but
they teach you all the essential grammar and enough vocabulary for you to communicate in
most daily situations. For the organization and the methodology I would give it a 10.

Of course, no textbook is complete in the sense that it's going to make you master the
language at the end of it, but it will surely give you enough vocabulary for you to move
on with your study. If you want to talk to friends about just any topic you will have to
learn much more obviously, but that's true for any other Assimil course.

PS: No, the length of the lessons aren't really longer.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ikinaridango
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5924 days ago

61 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: German, Polish

Message 5 of 5
14 March 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Thanks. As much as I like Assimil, I do find that their quality is not always consistent
and it's nice to get a comprehensive assessment of a course before taking the plunge and
buying it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version