Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Dylanarama
United States
Joined 5238 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 4
10 March 2012 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
Are there any other books with a similar style to the Berlitz self teacher books? Where one line has the
language and under it has the translation? I really enjoy this style but the Berlitz books don't have many
languages to choose from.

1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6945 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 2 of 4
10 March 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
The closest books to Berlitz are the Cortina Language series. I have several and I like them a lot.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6742 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 3 of 4
10 March 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
There are also the 'step-by-step' textbooks (Italian Step-by-Step, French Step-by-Step, etc) by Charles Berlitz, which are more recent than the Berlitz self-teacher series.

For German there's German: How to Speak and Write It by Rosenberg and for French, French: How to Speak and Write It by Lemaitre.

One may also regard the Assimil books as being of this type, except for having side-by-side rather than interlinear translations.

Edited by frenkeld on 10 March 2012 at 4:50pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 4
10 March 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
There are also the 'step-by-step' textbooks (Italian Step-by-Step, French Step-by-Step, etc) by Charles Berlitz, which are more recent than the Berlitz self-teacher series.

For German there's German: How to Speak and Write It by Rosenberg and for French, French: How to Speak and Write It by Lemaitre.

One may also regard the Assimil books as being of this type, except for having side-by-side rather than interlinear translations.

Thank you for pointing these books out. I read through the introduction to the French book by Lemaitre, and have just bought a used hardcover version of it. Sure it's 65 years old, but that will be part of the fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version