Groupie
France
Joined 4500 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
10 March 2012 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
What do you think Assimil should improve and why ?

What are its flaws ?
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 7
10 March 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
It's very hard to generalize across the whole series; the courses vary quite a bit in quality. For many of them, better recordings would help - they're often too slow. Some need a bit more explicit explanation of grammar (I hear Assimil Finnish does); some need better translations (Assimil Spanish for English-speakers is a bit notorious on this forum). They should definitely improve their instructions on how to use the course; the explanations vary from book to book, and seem to leave most people baffled.

I'd personally like if they brought back more literature (as some of the earlier courses had), and cut down slightly on truly low-frequency vocabulary in non-literary scenarios that don't require it: higher-frequency words could often pack the same punch, without making students wonder why their first 1000 words include some that they haven't used actively in their native language all year.

It's not a course which grants active use from day 1 - but I see this as a design tradeoff, not a flaw.

The quality and contents of footnotes for each lesson also vary wildly from course to course. At their best, they contribute a lot; often, they seem somewhat pointless.

I think their basic concept is sound, but some of their courses could have done with better quality control, and a few were poorly designed.

9 persons have voted this message useful

COF
United States
Joined 5630 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 7
10 March 2012 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Volte - Which specific Assimil courses would you say are best, and which ones do you think have problems?

Edited by COF on 10 March 2012 at 3:47pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 7
10 March 2012 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm using Assimil's New French with Ease. I agree that I need more explicit grammar instruction than is given in the course, but that is contrary to the intention of the course. As it says at the end of lesson 14, "So much for the rules. In time you will 'feel' the correct usage, so don't try to do too much at once." The most explicit statement of how the method is supposed to work is at the end of lesson 36: "Do you find that you are beginning to understand things without needing detailed explanations? We hope so!"

I don't think that expanding on the grammar explanations would improve the course. I am happy enough to find further grammar explanations elsewhere. Besides using Assimil, I'm reading BBC's Talk French Grammar, and slowly working on Living French, which is a grammar-heavy introductory course. I am on lesson 36 of Assimil, but only chapter 3 of Living French, which gives you a good idea of which course is more enjoyable. At the end of the day, if I like doing it, I keep on working on it.

Edited by Jeffers on 10 March 2012 at 9:33pm

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5384 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 5 of 7
10 March 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I definitely think French with Ease is their best, and German and Italian take a close second. I'm just finishing up German with Ease. I loved it, and while I can't recite every lesson word for word, I can read and understand a good bit of what I'm reading, and listen to music and not be totally lost. Some of the footnotes are worthless, but the exercises are very helpful, at least for the German course. They present sentences you could really use in real life, and I found that really enjoyable.

I really back Assimil for anyone starting a language, it wasn't my only attack plan, but it definitely got me up and running!

ikinaridango
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5924 days ago

61 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: German, Polish

Message 6 of 7
13 March 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
I would suggest that Assimil could really improve their localisation skills. It seems
that rather than being truly adapted for different language markets, courses are just
translated. What this means is that if there are five notes for a certain lesson in the
original then there will be five notes in the adaptation. This doesn't always make much
sense. Sometimes it doesn't really matter. I found it amusing that Assimil German with
Ease, adapted from the original text for French speakers, found it necessary to point
out that the German word 'bevor' meant 'before' in English. However some things are
obtuse, for example notes explaining the agreement of Italian past participles with
preceding direct objects clearly only made much sense if you had an understanding of
the same phenomenon in French. I fortunately had studied French before tackling
Italian, but I do think that had that not been the case I would have been most
perplexed. Assimil need to take into account that speakers of French, English, German
and so on will have different needs when studying the same language, and that the
adapter of the text should therefore be allowed to tailor the notes accordingly.

There are also chapters that are clearly designed with speakers of the language of the
original target audience in mind. Spanish with Ease has an awful chapter called 'False
Friends' which is mostly useless for the average English-speaking learner as it deals
exclusively with words that have similar or identical spellings but different meanings
in French and Spanish. There a couple of similar chapters, I think, in French with Ease
and Using French, but as those were originally written for an English-speaking audience
they didn't affect my studies. I suspect that readers of, say, the Italian or Spanish
adaptations of Assimil's French courses, might on occasion be somewhat bemused however. I will say that I've not noticed this problem so much with the most recent generation
of Assimil courses.

Gah. I could go on. I like Assimil an awful lot and will almost always turn to them
first when it comes to studying a new language, but I do find them frustrating at
times.

michal
Pentaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5103 days ago

16 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English, German, Russian, French
Studies: Latvian, Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Polish, Yiddish, Greek, Hungarian

Message 7 of 7
16 March 2012 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Consistent IPA pronunciation transcriptions would help. Presently they use ad-hoc transcriptions based on French orthography (or base language's orthography), not very consistent from book to book. IPA is definitely not unheard of in France, it is used in monolingual French dictionaries.

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version