United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 1 of 10
10 March 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Hello

I was about to buy a book on Ancient Greek but I read a review saying that it was one
particular dialect (I forget which) and this got me thinking about which Ancient Greek
dialect I should learn.

Could someone answer any of the following questions about Ancient Greek dialects for
me? I've been searching the forum/Wikipedia for more info on them but I've yet to find
anything really useful/concrete (if you have some good links that cover these questions
then please share).

Q1. Which dialect is the most commonly studied?
Q2. How many dialects would I need to read Socrates, the Titanomachy and the New
Testament? Is it 3?
Q3. How mutually intelligible are they?
Q4. Would learning one of them make learning another one easier (like learning the
older forms first)?/How much longer would it take to learn another dialect after having
learnt one already?
Q5. A loaded-question but are any of the dialects noticeably easier or more difficult
than another?
Q6. Which dialect is Assimil and Athenaze in?

Thank you for your answers to any of these questions.

Edited by crafedog on 10 March 2012 at 3:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

cmj
Octoglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5147 days ago

58 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Arabic (classical), Latin, Italian

Message 2 of 10
10 March 2012 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
The issue of dialects in Greek is relatively complex. The main ones that are studied today are Epic (or
Homeric), Attic, and Koine, since these are the main vehicles of Greek literature. Epic is the dialect used by
the poets of the classical literary tradition, primarily Hesiod and Homer. Attic was the dialect of Athens and is
hence the language of the playwrights (although there are some elements imported from other dialects), the
philosophers (Plato and Aristotle), Thucydides and the classical orators. Koine (from the Greek for "common")
is the dialect that was used throughout the Greek speaking world after Alexander the Great's conquests and
was the vehicle for all subsequent Ancient Greek literature, including the New Testament.

Some people recommend that you study Homeric first, since it is the oldest of the dialects and was the
language of the founding texts of Greek culture. In my opinion there are several difficulties with this view:
1) Homeric Greek is actually an artificial dialect grounded in old Ionic (a dialect closely related to Attic) but
drawing on a huge number of elements from all the other Greek dialects, as well as from a long tradtion of
oral poetry. This means that the morphology is a complete mess, since the poets used whatever form of the
word fit into a given line and there are very ancient forms alongside very modern ones. This is a major
headache for a beginner.
2) Poetry in Greek (and Latin) is diffcult to read because the syntax is very strange. Since it is a heavily
inflecting language, you don't need to place elements together, for example adjectives with their
corresponding nouns; you can tell what belongs with what just by how they are declined. If you are learning
the language, however, the declensions are quite unnantural and it becomes almost like doing a puzzle,
finding all the elements that go together. This is true of prose too, but much less so.
3) If you are learning Epic Greek, all you have to practice on are the ancient poems and they are, in my
opinion, among the hardest works to read in Greek. The other two dialects have works at all levels of
difficulty.

Out of Attic and Koine, I would strongly recommend Attic if you are interested in the whole literary tradition
and not just the New Testament. Koine is a sort of simplified Attic that has borrowed elements from other
dialects. If you read Attic, you can read Koine with very little difficulty, but the reverse is not true. Most
introductory texts not designed for seminary students teach Attic (including Athenaze and Assimil). There is a
wealth of literature and almost from the beginning you can read Plato's simple Socratic dialogues (Socrates
himself did not write anything), and there is even a textbook called "Learning Greek with Plato". With Attic
under your belt, it is a cinch to learn koine, particularly the highly simplified Koine of the New Testament and
you also have a strong base to approach Homeric. With knowledge of Attic, you can easily recognize variant
forms that would overwhelm a beginner, although you will still have to learn new vocabulary. (I assume by
reading the Titanomachy you mean reading Hesiod, so Epic is necessary at some point).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by cmj on 10 March 2012 at 5:12pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Lukos
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4652 days ago

8 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 10
10 March 2012 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
To support cmj's thorough post:

It's most practical and quite standard to learn the Attic dialect first. If you have a strong foundation in that, the
other dialects can be acquired with relative ease; you should be able to read, e.g., Homer and Hesiod after a year of
Attic with the help of a short introduction (as is found in most readers) and your dictionary (Liddell-Scott or Gemoll,
although Autenrieth's Homeric Dictionary is also helpful for students beginning to read epic).

Athenaze is Attic dialect, although I'd not recommend it. I'm not familiar with the Assimil. Hansen and Quinn are all
right, as is the JACT introduction to Greek (you should learn the accentuation better than they teach it, though --
Smyth's Grammar or HQ can help with that) and some of the older books, such as John William White's First Greek
Book.
2 persons have voted this message useful

quendidil
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6121 days ago

126 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 10
10 March 2012 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Read this article.

Assimil teaches Attic, but the realization of the pitch accents differs a bit between the different narrators.

Edited by quendidil on 10 March 2012 at 6:14pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5408 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 5 of 10
10 March 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Q5. A loaded-question but are any of the dialects noticeably easier or more difficult than another?

I find Aeolic Greek the hardest and do not think that I will ever read Sappho or Alcaeos with ease. It is the most divergent from the Attic "standard" you learn in introductory courses. I like Doric very much, when I am looking for dialectic diversion.

2 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5217 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 6 of 10
12 March 2012 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
I've not much to add.
I would recommand Attic or Koine, depending on what you want to read. Another factor may be that Koine is easier.

Lukos, can you develop why you do not recommand Athenaze ? I used it as a false beginner and found it quite good. The fact that it does not use authentic texts right from the beginning enables the learner to read a lot of Greek. I think it's a great way to keep motivated.

Lukos
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4652 days ago

8 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 7 of 10
12 March 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
To be honest, I found the layout of the book and introduction of concepts massively disorganised, especially (and
this is my main quibble) how they introduce the verbs -- bit by bit rather than all six principal parts together
from the beginning, which is much more efficient, even if you don't learn the (e.g.) passive aorist for a while. The
result is that many students who started on this as absolute (not false) beginners enter into Greek courses
without a firm grasp of verb forms.

I find also the use of non-authentic texts problematic. There are easy texts in Greek that one can read from the
start with only a little modification (likewise in Hansen and Quinn, a reader should focus on the real passages
rather than the exercises about Homer's brother sacrificing goats in the agora...) and reading real Greek would
keep me (at least) more motivated than stories about Philip's brother!

But to each his own. The best foundations in any language must be built by oneself and with one's own
intelligence, but good books and teachers can help make the process easier.

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5217 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 8 of 10
12 March 2012 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the fact that I was a false beginner may have helped me to overcome this problem. Thanks for your insight !

I liked this book because it allowed me to read a lot and to read a long, coherent story rather than (often overly simplified) disconnected bits of "real" Greek. But, as you said, to each his own.

I have a friend who wants to learn Ancient Greek, maybe I should use him as a guinea-pig to see how good Athenaze is :)

Edited by akkadboy on 12 March 2012 at 2:40pm

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version