Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4875 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 1 of 11
11 March 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
The Thracian language is an extinct language of the Thracian people who inhabited Thrace, the region of the
Balkan peninsula south of the Balkans mountains, north of the Aegean Sea, west of the Black Sea, and east of
Macedonia. It's widely regarded as an Indo-European language but scholars are unsure as to which branch of the
family. I know that not much is known about the language and that few inscriptions have been found, but, of
what's been found, has there been any effort to collect a vocabulary of the language or dissect the grammar? Has
there been any attempt to reconstruct the language?

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: The language's lifespan ranged from antiquity to the Early Middle Ages.

Edited by Kartof on 11 March 2012 at 1:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

KimG
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 4786 days ago

88 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Swahili

Message 2 of 11
11 March 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
How would anyone reconstruct it? the Wikipedia article I think got all inscriptions with more than 1 sentence, each of the four on 2-3 sentences, together 22 words. The rest is single word sources mostly, and if wikipedia is correct, the known samples could be magical spell formulae as easily as legible sentences.
Tbh, it sounds simpler to solve the rongorongo puzzle, or Linear A.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4875 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 

Message 3 of 11
11 March 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Well, there are other sources of words in Thracian such as place names and loanwords in languages that took over
the region. If you look at this source: http://groznijat.tripod.com/thrac/thrac_5.html , they've reconstructed 180
words and roots from sources such as toponyms and connections to other Indo-European languages. By the looks
of it, they've made significant discoveries as to Thracian phonology and lexical similarities to the Baltic languages
especially (http://groznijat.tripod.com/thrac/thrac_9.html) and if the inscriptions can give any clue as to the basic
grammatical structure, there might be some basis to possible reconstruction.

manish
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5355 days ago

88 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 11
11 March 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Romanian has like five words left over from Dacian, which was probably related to Thracian, but we're not even sure of those...

xuxakat
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 4557 days ago

15 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, English
Studies: Turkish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 5 of 11
11 March 2012 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Hello!
I want to learn Persian quite fast.
Persian is an Indo-European language and share a great part of its vocabulary with Arabic and some with Turkish. As I already speak several Indo-European languages and have some knowledge in Turkish and Arabic, I hope that I could start by looking at the similarities between Persian and other languages - be it grammatical or lexical similarities. Yet, so far I found relatively few resources. Do you know any links or books?
Thanks a lot

EDIT: Can anyone please tell me, why I can't make a new topic out of this?? I always click on "New Topic" and it ends up as a random answer to some completely unrelated post!! I tried it like 10 times today! Anyone facing the same problem? Could maybe some admin or moderator or someone change the place of this post? I tried contacting a moderator, I tried changing the browser....I just don't know what to do anymore.

And sorry for hijacking the topic

Edited by xuxakat on 11 March 2012 at 7:24pm

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5082 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 6 of 11
11 March 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thracian_language

This wikipedia page has some words. I doubt you can reconstruct a language from so few words. The language has
a whiff of Greek and Balto-Slavic (at least that's what it seems like to me), but that could just be from areal contact
and - not coincidentally - the fact that the area in which Thracian was spoken was Hellenize, Romanized, and then
Slavicized.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4875 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 

Message 7 of 11
11 March 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Still though, there aren't any inscriptions in PIE or even Proto-Balto-Slavic and they've managed to reconstruct a
large part of the vocabulary of those languages. If you look at the link that I posted in Message 3, they've already
reconstructed many basic nouns, adjectives, verbs, and even a preposition or two. I'm curious to know if there's
been any effort to go farther than this perhaps.

manish
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5355 days ago

88 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 11
11 March 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Didn't they reconstruct PIE by studying its "daughters"? Thracian doesn't have any surviving "descendants", AFAIK, so that makes it a lot harder.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version