Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5679 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 1 of 12
11 March 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I've been looking for a complete course book for Slovene but I'm totally lost here. There
isn't much information about learning the language online and the course books I usually
rely on (Assimil or old Berlitz/Linguaphone courses) seem to be inexistent. Any
suggestions? The base language doesn't have to be necessarily English, anything would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Fasulye on 11 March 2012 at 9:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7032 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 2 of 12
11 March 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged 

I looked up books with cds. I found two English base: Teach Yourself and Colloquial. The reviews are not encouraging.

Parlons Slovène French base is more of an introductory course and the cd is sold separately. There are books in Italian, Spanish, and German. Just look at the respective Amazon sites. I checked a Dutch site, but found only a kind of dictionary.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 12
11 March 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
Take a look at this thread for some hints.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 12
11 March 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
So you speak German as a foreign language and for people speaking German the website www.sprachwelt.de is always a good place to find resources for rare languages.

I give you the direct link to Slovene/Slovenian resources based on German:

Lehrbücher und Lernmaterialien für Slowenisch

For such a rare language there is quite a list of material listed on the website of Sprachwelt.

Fasulye

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5054 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 5 of 12
14 March 2012 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
alang wrote:

I looked up books with cds. I found two English base: Teach Yourself and Colloquial. The reviews are not encouraging.

The new Colloquial (Marta Pirnat-Greenberg) is a lot better than the old one (Andrea Albretti). I'm finding it quite good so far.

The other thing I found recently was Book2 which looks promising for the basics, though I've not had a chance to use it yet.

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5679 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 6 of 12
14 March 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for all the suggestions and links, I really appreciate it.

I have another question: with all this material, what level can I expect to achieve? Do
they suffice at the end? I'm considering Slovene because I have to choose a Slavic
language at the University and in the region of Carinthia, where I'm going to live,
there's a considerable minority who speaks the language, so, that's something I wonder.
with the little material there is, what is possible to achieve?

anna_dawn
Diglot
Slovenia
Joined 4447 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Slovenian*, English
Studies: Italian, Latin, Serbian

Message 7 of 12
18 March 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
   Slovene is my native language and from my experience with foreigners trying to learn it... Well, I can tell you that it's hard work. The language is really nice and melodic but grammar is quite hard and not even a bit like English or Italian. I believe you can learn it with that limited material that you mentioned, but for a higher level I would recommend visiting nearest library and maybe they could arrange for you to borrow books from a library in Slovenia. Also, if you can talk to as many Slovenian people as you can-that always helps. We are usually very happy to see foreigners showing interest in Slovenian language and our culture. And if you learn Slovenian, you will have no problems picking up Croatian, Serbian and Slovakian as well(even though Slovenian is probably the one with the most complicated rules).

OK, I hope I didn't scare you because the result of your hard work will be rewarding(I hope).
My friend recommends this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Colloquial-Slovene-Complete-Course-B eginners/dp/0415559820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328408061&sr= 8-1

You could always check out this site:
http://www.ff.uni-lj.si/publikacije/sft/
http://www.ff.uni-lj.si/fakulteta/ZalozbaInKnjigarna/knjigar na/knjigeff_en.asp?katedra=130

I wish you luck with learning Slovenian... :)

Edited by anna_dawn on 18 March 2012 at 12:22am

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4479 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 8 of 12
18 March 2012 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
I haven't found a Slovenian course here in Croatia, not even a dictionary.
Most Croats from the Northern Croatia, and the Western Croatia understand
Slovenian pretty well, just like Swedish people (outside Scania) understand Norwegian pretty well.
Slovenian is difficult to pronounce (since it has 7 vowels + schwa & the pitch accent),
the grammar is not that difficult except for the dual (dual is absent in regions bordering Croatia, like Slovenian Littoral)...It's a shame there are no good Slovenian-Croatian dictionaries or a decent textbook.

If you pronounce Slovenian with 5 vowels only, you will sound foreign (Serbian, or a nonKajkavian-Croatian). Slovenian, just like Portuguese, Parisian French, and Central/standard Italian has two O's (one open, one close), and two E's (one close, one open). The sound of Slovenian is all about these vowels, if it weren't for them, Slovenian would sound boring just like standard Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian/Montenegrin.

Edited by Medulin on 18 March 2012 at 7:21pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version