26 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
simonov
Portugal
Joined 5375 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 9 of 26
29 May 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I must have been one of the last to buy the audio from Seton Hall. The books are still being sold, but the sale of the audio (sold exclusively by Seton Hall), has been discontinued, which is a shame. I therefore think it wouldn't prejudice anybody if I told where to find the audio files. Anyone interested send me a PM with an email address.
The audio files were cheap, cheaper than the books, but on 3 CDs, which means a lot of MBs. But you can download them piecemeal, as the need arises.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Magnus13
Triglot
United States
mybestwaytolearnspan
Joined 4927 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 10 of 26
06 December 2012 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
I've been looking for the intermediate and advanced audio too. I didn't want to start a
new thread so I figured I'd reply to this one. Is anyone who has the audio willing to let
others download it? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance to
anyone who replies.
1 person has voted this message useful

sfdancer
United States
Joined 4161 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 26
07 December 2012 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
That makes a few of us. If anyone knows where the intermediate or advanced readers
(Defrancis) tapes/cds can be purchased or downloaded, please let me know. I still
consider these some of the best learning materials for Chinese.

Thank you,

Anthony aka Hwai An Dung

sfdancer
United States
Joined 4161 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 12 of 26
15 December 2012 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
I found out that the reason that Seaton pulled the mp3s was because of the poor quality
of the intermediate and advanced series. My sources say that they (Seaton) are re-
digitizing the tapes from the masters to hopefully provide a better product.

In the mean time for those of us who are looking for alternative sources: I was made
aware of some learning materials called: “Across the Straits.” It can be purchased
from Cheng and Tsui: www.cheng-tsui.com.

I’ve yet to try the material, but it looks promising because the written material is
accompanied by audio, which for me is very important.

If anyone out there has other alternatives, please post them.

Anthony

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5455 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech

Message 13 of 26
16 December 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
Another member of this forum very kindly sent me copies of the audio materials for intermediate and advanced chinese textbooks and readers. I already had the beginner materials, which were the only ones available for purchase.

I am unsure of the copyright status of these audio files, and know that forum policy forbids the posting of links to copyrighted materials.

At the same time, since these audio materials are unavailable anywhere for purchase, I don't feel too guilty about sharing them.

Therefore, if you are interested in the audio, please send me a personal message, and I will tell you from where to download them.

adamtotheg
Bilingual
United Kingdom
Joined 3897 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German*, Spanish

Message 14 of 26
26 August 2013 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
If anyone has the link for the download of the DeFrancis audio, could they send it to me please.

Thanks in advance.

daristani
United States
Joined 6930 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 15 of 26
18 October 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to dredge up a really old thread, but it seems that this set of materials is very highly regarded, and thus the following might be welcome news to people working on Chinese.

It turns out that Seton Hall University has made the DeFrancis audio materials available for free download:

http://blogs.shu.edu/lrc/2013/10/audio-materials-for-john-de francis-chinese-textbook-series-update/

ADDENDUM: John DeFrancis, the creator of the series, seems to have been a really interesting man, and evidently had a major impact on Chinese language instruction in the West. Here's the Wikipedia entry on him, with further links indicated, for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeFrancis

and here's a brief video of him speaking about Chinese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afaVjLlnUtQ

Edited by daristani on 19 October 2013 at 1:54am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5131 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 16 of 26
19 October 2013 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Is there any way to download the above without installing that Itunes garbage?

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version