Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6069 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 51
11 March 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
It seems that the Catalan language has been in decline over the last few years. I have
just come across some figures (see link below) from the Catalan Statistics Office
showing that between 2003 and 2008, the percentage of habitual Catalan speakers
declined from 46% to 35% (in just 5 years).

The number of habitual Spanish speakers declined slightly also in the period, from 47%
to just under 46%. Arabic increased from 0% to 2%.

Interestingly, the number of speakers with both official languages as native rose from
4.7% to almost 12%.
If this type of trend continues, is it likely that Catalan will become a marginalised
language in
its own province? Contrary to common perception, it's already in the minority there
i.e. under 50% of the population speak it as their usual language. What does the future
hold?

http://www.idescat.cat/territ/BasicTerr?TC=5&V0=3&V1=3&V3=33
25&V4=3326&ALLINFO=TRUE&PARENT=25&CTX=B

Edited by aodhanc on 11 March 2012 at 7:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 51
11 March 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Any language that is not an official national language and majority language in its nation faces enormous
difficulties
in staying vibrant and alive in the long term. It would take enormous support from the local government (of the
kind
we see in Quebec) to keep Catalan alive and healthy, I suspect. The evidence from all over the world is pretty
clear.
Look at the non-Mandarin Sinitic languages, look at Tibetan, look at Welsh, Cornish, Gaelic, look at Saami, look
at
the native languages of North and South America. Look at Hebrew before Israel. A language without a nation is a
dying language. It might be a big dying language, and it might be dying very slowly, but it's dying nonetheless.
Maybe there are a few exceptions, but I've yet to hear of them, and the majority trend is abuntantly clear. In the
absence of Catalonian independence (not likely), Catalan is going to die. It might take a while, but it's going to
die.

And that's really sad.

EDIT: I'm sure there are a lot of exceptions in many sub-Saharan African countries. This is because of lack of
education. Once education gets underway in these countries, languages will be dying left and right.

Edited by Ari on 11 March 2012 at 7:51pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 51
11 March 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Catalan has a relatively strong position in Catalonia. It is an official language, it is used throughout the
educational system from kindergartens to universities, there are TV stations broadcasting in Catalan, it has the
support of local and regional authorities. It can't really be compared with Sami or Cornish. Catalan is probably in
a better position than it was 40 years ago, but maybe not than it was 10 years ago.

If we look at the Idescat statistics, from 2003 to 2008 there was a significant rise in the numbers of speakers of
foreign languages (àrab, altres llengues, combinacions d'altres llengues). There was also a significant rise in the
number of speakers that uses or identifies with both Catalan and Spanish (ambdues). If we sum up the
percentages for "català" and "ambdues" there is still a decline, but the figures are far less dramatic than if we only
look at "català".

Spanish is and will continue to be a very important language in Catalonia. Even if Catalonia would get
independence from Spain, Spanish would remain an important language.

Immigration is a challenge for Catalan. For Spaniards form other parts of Spain and for Latin Americans, whose
native language is Spanish, the easy option is to to continue speaking Spanish. For foreigners, Spanish is also the
most tempting option: it is a world language and in addition there are much more learning materials and
language courses available.

Edited by tractor on 11 March 2012 at 8:45pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 51
12 March 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
I have travelled several times in Catalunya during the last couple of years (thanks to cheap flight tickets), and as far as I can ascertain Catalan is alive and well there - in fact to a degree where you can speak Catalan to everybody and if they can't understand it then they are the odd ones out.

But its sister language or dialect or whatever it is, Valencian, is dying, at least in the towns and most of all in Valencia itself. It may still be in use in the countryside, but anything which only is spoken outside the towns is in danger - witness Low German. The Valencian authorities take care that there are bilingual signs and announcements all over the place, but you don't hear much Valencian in the streets of Valencia. One thing that puzzled me during my last visit there was that there weren't even newspapers in Catalan outside a few major kiosks. Maybe it is the campain for establishing Valencian as a separate language which has backfired - if the local government really wanted Valencian to survive then it should stress the ties with Catalunya and Catalan. But I guess it is too late - Valencian is on its way out.

Edited by Iversen on 12 March 2012 at 10:56am

4 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6752 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 5 of 51
12 March 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
A language without a nation is a dying language. It might be a big dying language, and it might be dying very slowly, but it's dying nonetheless.

One should also consider demographics. In the long run the language of any population group with below-replacement birth rate is going to be under threat.

Edited by frenkeld on 12 March 2012 at 10:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4892 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 6 of 51
13 March 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Thing is Ari, Catalans do have a "nation". The Spanish constitution says that (an unstated number of) the countries autonomous communities constitute "historic nationalities". In that sense, perhaps it's only a strong identity tied to language that's needed, whether it's for a region or for a nation-state.

But then again, Austro-Bavarian, Swiss German, Venetian and Neapolitan are all safe AFAIK, and yet they are not official or used in education (actually maybe Swiss German is??). Why is this the case? I think it's due to a lack of internal migration within the official-language-using area, as well as a lack of outright oppression from the government (apathy instead). Catalan had both Castilian-speaking immigration and anti-Catalan laws.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 51
13 March 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
The question is what it means that for instance Austro-Bavarian, Swiss German, Venetian and Neapolitan are safe if they aren't used in writing, in the media or in school. Maybe Swiss German is in a special position because it has its (more or less) own country (though hardly anyone writes in it even there), but you can travel up and down Bavaria and the two Italian regions without noticing anything but a slight regional accent because people generally speak Hugh German and Standard Italian, and almost everything is written in the standard languages - apart from Asterix in everything possible.

Look also at Scotland where the pronunciation clearly is different from that around London, but the vocabulary is English, and it is hardly possible to find a book or magazine in Scots (apart from the poetry of Robbie Burns).

So far Catalan has a much better position than the others because it actually is used as an independent language, not just as a dialect of something else.

Edited by Iversen on 13 March 2012 at 3:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 8 of 51
13 March 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Immigration is a challenge for Catalan. For Spaniards form other parts of Spain and for Latin Americans, whose native language is Spanish, the easy option is to to continue speaking Spanish.

Not as easy as you think. I'd never think of settling there because of the pressure to use Catalan *only* in the workplace. While such idiocy is not to be expected from independent employers, it is what you will get from the local government, for which I kind of worked twice. I don't like having things choked down my throat so I fled.

Quote:
For foreigners, Spanish is also the most tempting option: it is a world language and in addition there are much more learning materials and language courses available.

Besides, it's something you can use if you move to other parts of Spain, while the opposite is not true.

Saim wrote:
Thing is Ari, Catalans do have a "nation". The Spanish constitution says that (an unstated number of) the countries autonomous communities constitute "historic nationalities".

The mere fact they don't name what such "historic nationalities" were should give away how ill-conceived our constitution is at some points -- that was all BS put there to appease the nationalists after the regime change. The truth is, before fusing with the rest of what would become Spain around 1700, Catalonia was never a nation of its own -- it was always a part of the Kingdom of Aragón (which flag was officially adopted for the region of Catalonia). Ironically, modern Aragón has no such nationalistic aspirations. As I often mention, minor Spanish languages are but a toy in the hands of modern politicians.

Quote:
Catalan had both Castilian-speaking immigration and anti-Catalan laws.

The former it had, has and will have, the latter I am inclined to believe never happened. Care to back up such a claim with some reference?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version