Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4829 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 21
14 March 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Some time ago, I found an interesting book in the library. It was aimed at native french
children of about 10-12 years and covered 10000 words such a child should know.

But czech highly valued exam of foreign languages officially requires active knowledge of
approximately 4500 words for C2 level and about three more thousand passive words.

I think 5000 word families with a common root (in your active vocabulary) can get you at
C1 in most european languages. A list of 5000 words where "I,me,my,mine" are included as
four words certainly not (I know it is a stupid exemple, but I hope you see what I mean).
I'd guess B1 in that case.
1 person has voted this message useful

Heriotza
Groupie
Dominican Republic
Joined 4500 days ago

48 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 18 of 21
14 March 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

That being said, I bought myself a 20 000 frequency dictionary of American English, the extended version of the Routledge paper dictionary (and made by the same author).

Can you please share with us the title of the dictionary you bought. I can't find anyone that matches that description. Thank you.

Edited by Heriotza on 14 March 2012 at 10:40pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4488 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 19 of 21
14 March 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Word Frequency List of American English
Mark Davies and Dee Gardner
© 2010

''These are entries 1-20,000 from the frequency lists that are available from www.wordfrequency.info.
They are based on the 400+ million word Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA), which is the only large, recent, and genre-balanced corpus of American  English. Due to the characteristics of the corpus on which the data is based, you can be sure that the words that you find here are ones that you would encounter in the "real world". Because the entries are arranged in order of frequency, you can
maximize your study of  English vocabulary in a way that is probably not available with any other resource.'You can also purchase a printed (book) version of the entries 1-5,000, which was published by Routledge in 2010 as the
Frequency Dictionary of American English: word sketches, collocates, and thematic lists. (Note that this list has about 30-40% fewer collocates for the words 1-5,000 than in the printed book, because of a copyright agreement with Routledge in which we promised not to duplicate the contents of the book.)''

Edited by Medulin on 14 March 2012 at 7:47pm

Heriotza
Groupie
Dominican Republic
Joined 4500 days ago

48 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 20 of 21
14 March 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Word Frequency List of American English
Mark Davies and Dee Gardner
© 2010

''These are entries 1-20,000 from the frequency lists that are available from www.wordfrequency.info.
They are based on the 400+ million word Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA), which is the only large, recent, and genre-balanced corpus of American  English. Due to the characteristics of the corpus on which the data is based, you can be sure that the words that you find here are ones that you would encounter in the "real world". Because the entries are arranged in order of frequency, you can
maximize your study of  English vocabulary in a way that is probably not available with any other resource.'You can also purchase a printed (book) version of the entries 1-5,000, which was published by Routledge in 2010 as the
Frequency Dictionary of American English: word sketches, collocates, and thematic lists. (Note that this list has about 30-40% fewer collocates for the words 1-5,000 than in the printed book, because of a copyright agreement with Routledge in which we promised not to duplicate the contents of the book.)''

Many thanks. Fantastic resource.

buchstabe
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 4522 days ago

52 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Swedish, Japanese

Message 21 of 21
02 April 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone tried working with them in the meantime? I bought the Czech and the Spanish versions for Kindle. What I do is browse through them and put those I don't know (for Czech) or those where I'm not sure I could use them actively (Spanish) into Anki sets.
For Czech I already came across one word of the ~100 words that I've learnt this way to date when treating myself with my weekly "Bob a Bobek" fix (a Czech children's cartoon series featuring two rabbits, which is isn't particularly dialog-heavy ;) ).
That was a nice little unexpected motivation booster.

Edited by buchstabe on 02 April 2012 at 11:50pm

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version