Tags: Pimsleur | Arabic
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
bchaplin
United States
Joined 4440 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 1 of 3
13 March 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
After one year of learning Modern Standard Arabic in a classroom, I am planning to visit Jordan next year, and my goal is to be able to travel around on my own, and speak and understand simple conversations. I need to learn the colloquial language. The best system I could find was Pimsleur's series for Eastern Arabic. I like the Pimsleur approach, and have used it for other languages. My question is whether or not the dialect they teach is similar enough to what is spoken in Jordan. (They mention Syria and Lebanon in their description.)

Thanks in advance to any Arabic-speakers or travelers who could offer their advice.

Edited by bchaplin on 13 March 2012 at 4:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6461 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 2 of 3
23 March 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
It should be close enough since Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, and Jordan are all in the Levantine region. I have not come across much material that is specific to Jordan, so materials for the other Levantine countries can be used instead.

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 3 of 3
23 March 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
According to my father ( who is a native levantine arabic speaker ) the arabic spoken in Jordan is levantine dialect with a little egyptian and hejazi flavour. ( too little that it doesnt make a real difference ) Also almost half of the people are of Palestinian origin.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version