11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
kimmitt
United Kingdom
Joined 4750 days ago

33 posts - 38 votes
Studies: French

Message 1 of 11
14 March 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I have managed to get my hands on the full FIA course, including the audio and study guides.

Is there a sensible way of combining it with French with Ease? Has anyone studied the two side by side? I would like to work through both but don't want to finish one and then restart the other.

Could I do an FIA lesson every 7 lessons of Assimil, for example?

1 person has voted this message useful

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5617 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 2 of 11
14 March 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
I've been aiming to do a FIA vid per 2 lessons of Assimil but it never seems to work that
way (every Assimil lesson makes me want to watch a FIA) although I think that this would
be a pretty good way to combine the two in terms of overall timing. Alternatively you
could change the pace of it but also re-watch episodes again which I've also done and
found very helpful.

kimmitt
United Kingdom
Joined 4750 days ago

33 posts - 38 votes

Message 3 of 11
14 March 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
I'm thinking of trying to include all of the audio & the exercises which, I think, means that each FIA lesson will take quite a long time. Possibly 90-120 minutes per lesson.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 11
14 March 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I reckon 120 minutes is the absolute minimum per lesson.

It probably takes about 5-6 days per lesson of at least 30-60 minutes a day to cover
French in Action at its best - the process I have gathered from this site:
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~nvaget/avu/syllabus.html and my own trial and error is:

1. Watch the video -
2. Treat the audio summary of the lesson like an Assimil lesson - i.e. listen and read
it with and without the text from the textbook until it sinks in.
3. Watch the video again (you'll be surprised how fresh it is after studying the
audio/text like an Assimil lesson)
4. Do the mise en oeuvre + mise en question from the textbook and the mise en oeuvre
audio questions,
5. Do the workbook/study guide exercises for the lesson.
6. Force yourself to do the réinvention de l'histoire in French as you would in a
classroom.
7. Watch the video again

I personally don't think that cramming it is a particularly wise way to go as a week a
lesson gives you a year where it sinks in.

To be honest, I would do New French With Ease first and devote yourself to that and
then give FIA the justice it deserves.

Edited by Elexi on 14 March 2012 at 8:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6945 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 5 of 11
15 March 2012 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
I would simply work through one Assimil lesson per day and do the FIA at your own pace without having a set program. Just work through each FIA lesson until you feel you have mastered it or at least understood it.

I have both programs and love them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kimmitt
United Kingdom
Joined 4750 days ago

33 posts - 38 votes

Message 6 of 11
16 March 2012 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your response Fanatic. So you don't think it would be sensible to, for example, do lessons 1-7 in Assimil and then switch to Lesson 1 in FIA and then return to Assimil once that is completed?

FIA is so unbelievably thorough that I don't want it go to waste.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5252 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 11
17 March 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
kimmitt wrote:
So you don't think it would be sensible to, for example, do lessons 1-7 in Assimil and then
switch to Lesson 1 in FIA and then return to Assimil once that is completed?

Why not? There's no harm in trying.

Edited by tractor on 17 March 2012 at 3:12pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 11
17 March 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:

2. Treat the audio summary of the lesson like an Assimil lesson - i.e. listen and read
it with and without the text from the textbook until it sinks in.

The audio files for students don't have an audio of the lesson do they? At least mine don't. EDIT: I would love to be able to do this, though!

Elexi wrote:

5. Do the workbook/study guide exercises for the lesson.

As the workbook has about 11-14 pages of exercises for each lesson, this single step would probably take several hours. I think it would be best to spread these exercises over several days.

I have the textbook, workbook, DVDs, and audio, but I haven't done much with them yet. Like Elexi, I think they would be done over a period of at least a week. Is it by accident that there are 52 chapters? But if you work for 30 minutes a day, and try to do everything in the book and workbook, you'll never do it in a week.

Assimil, on the other hand, works very well at 1 lesson per day of about 30 minutes. It also fits in better with my lifestyle: I do a lot of my language studying while the wife and/or kids are watching TV, and I review/preview the lesson audio while commuting.

If you have a lot of study time each day, do them side by side. Otherwise, choose one and work at it properly, then do the other one. As for me, I will be finishing the Assimil passive wave this July, then I think I could start FIA properly while finishing the active wave (or after that, I don't know yet how much time I'll be taking on each active lesson).

Edited by Jeffers on 17 March 2012 at 5:27pm

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version