United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4453 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 22
31 March 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
3/30/12

The downside to this website is that I've spent the last two days putting more work
into the setup of techniques than I have with the actual execution of them.

Had two mishaps where I purchased Spanish texts or audiobooks for L-R and found that
the recordings didn't even sink. Been looking all over for an affordable copy of
Assimil's Spanish with Ease; the search goes on and on and on.

On the plus side, been able to secure Michel Thomas and the aforementioned Pimsleur.
Right now I'm on Pimsleur's 7th unit. While I haven't encountered a piece of vocab that
I didn't already know, I feel like the pure exposure and demand that you speak back is
already improving my listening comprehension and sentence formulation. The sentences I
think of are growing more and more complex, and I've kind of learned how to play around
with certain verbs a little more.

Aside from that, started the super slow process of taking my old flashcards and turning
them into Anki decks. It took 3+ hours to transfers two chapters worth of flashcards, I
shudder to think of how long it'll take to throw in the remaining 6 or so chapters
worth.

Because of the earlier trouble, L-R has taken the backseat, but with the help of some
fellow forumers, I found a good link that I plan to practice off of tomorrow.

I had a weird moment today where I looked over all my old flashcards. Piled together my
flashcards so far from the last two years number in the high hundreds. I'm completely
humbled by the fact that even were I to perfectly know all those cards, my knowledge of
of the language is still insignificant. It's easy to see why learning a language is so
addicting for people here. It's the ultimate battle of wit, it requires so many
different intelligence and you can note every gain you make with every baby step closer
you get towards being able to use the thing.

I learned about the verb "chinga" today, so I used the classic "chinga tu madre"
against my friend who's fluent and he countered back with this excellent rant that I
could barely follow, but I could only smile over hearing such an awesome demonstration
of lingual flexibility. It's something you overlook in your native tongue, but
something you learn to appreciate when you struggle to grasp sentences.

Just goes to show, have a lot of hard work ahead of me before I learn inventive new
ways to make fun of my friend's mom.

1 person has voted this message useful

camdo2
United States
Joined 4487 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes

Message 10 of 22
31 March 2012 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Hi there!

I noticed you work in the medical field when reading through your blog. There's this great podcast on iTunes in language learning called "Medical Spanish" and it goes over lots of medical Spanish terms. I've heard great things about it, and it might be worth a check out.

As for anki, it's totally worth it. Being able to have flash cards everywhere is awesome, and it's really really useful.

Good luck, and continue doing good. I'll eventually find time to hit you up on skype soon haha.

Gatsby42
Groupie
Joined 4453 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 11 of 22
31 March 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the podcast recommendation. My school actually offers a course done over a
weekend where they try and stuff as much into your head about Spanish medical terminology
and needed cultural know how as possible; but I'm not sure I want to pay for it, so the
podcast may be a good alternative.

I actually haven't paid for Anki's mobile app yet; though I imagine that's the largest
strength of having Anki. $25 just seems steep for such a program.

Either way, thanks for the comment. Look forward to the chance to show just how poor my
Spanish is. =P

Edited by Gatsby42 on 31 March 2012 at 6:00pm

Gatsby42
Groupie
Joined 4453 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 12 of 22
02 April 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
4-2-12

Going to start logging my amount of hours invested in various Spanish learning related
exercises.

Active Learning
Pimsleur: Unit 10 completed; Total time invested: 10 hours
Michel Thomas Foundation: Disc 1 completed; Total time invested: 1 hour
L-R for Oscar Wilde's "The Faithful Friend/El Amigo Fiel: 40 minutes

Total Amount of Spanish Learning: 11.8 hours.

Passive Learning
Destinos: Episode 4 watched, total time: 2 hours
Madrid Talk Radio: 2 hours

Total Amount of Passive Learning: 6 hours

The Spanish frenzy has kept hold of me these last few days. Been keeping up with
Pimsleur while also finally beginning The Michel Thomas Foundation. I have to say that
I enjoy Michel Thomas far more than Pimsleur and am already more excited to see how
well I can learn with them.

So far, I still haven't really broken out of what amounts to review in these courses.
However, I feel like it's worth going over material I know just to get an excuse in
practicing speaking with them.

Meanwhile, took my second serious attempt at the L-R method with Oscar Wilde's short
story "The Faithful Friend". Following along was really easy until it wasn't. It's
kinda hard to see how this method can teach you how to speak at this point, but I'm
gonna repeat the story a few times tomorrow in an effort to learn it.

On top of that, watched another episode of Destinos. It's surprising just how
entertaining this show manages to be. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a video
learning course thinly disguised as a telenovella. If nothing else, it provides lots of
opportunities to hear Spanish being spoken while also offering insight into Spanish
culture. It's very enjoyable and I'd recommend it to fellow Spanish beginners.

And lastly, I've been reviewing my class vocab for Anki. Haven't made any new decks
since last time, so I still have the task of transcribing half a year's worth of study
material into six different decks. After that I imagine I'll begin to make new decks in
an effort to start ramping my vocab up.

Until then, adios.

Edited by Gatsby42 on 04 April 2012 at 1:22am

Gatsby42
Groupie
Joined 4453 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 13 of 22
05 April 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
4-5-12

Active Learning

Pimsleur: Unit 14 done, Unit 12 and 13 repeated twice; Total time invested: 12.5 hours
Michel Thomas Foundation: Disc 3 completed, Disc 2 and 3 (x2); Total time invested: 5
hours
L-R for Oscar Wilde's "The Faithful Friend/El Amigo Fiel: 40 minutes
Anki flashcards: Chapter 7+8 review x2: 1 hour

Total Amount of Spanish Learning: 18+ hours.

Passive Learning
Destinos: Episode 4 watched, total time: 2 hours
Madrid Talk Radio: 2 hours
Mexican Music(Los Cuates de Sinloa's Puro Cartel): 1 hour

Total Amount of Passive Learning: 5 hours

Not a whole lot to report today. Still going strong with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas.
Now that I've begun to get into the thick of both courses, I'm finally having some
difficulty with them. It's one thing to know all the conjugations, it's another to
quickly draw on them.

My Spanish teacher has been out sick all week, so I haven't gotten a chance to practice
my new speaking skills with him yet, but I did get in touch with a new friend who has
C1 fluency in Spanish. He tutors students in Spanish and taught me a lot of cool facts
about context in Mexico and how that context reflected language.

One particularly cool thing he told me was about the verb llamar and why it's used in
contrast to flat out asking "Cual es tu nombre?", because in Hispanic culture, names
are longer; asking what people call you is easier. Things like this don't seem like
they're vital to learning the language, but I wish I got to hear more of this stuff in
class. I hate the flat "that's just the way it is" when you want to know why a certain
something works the way it does.

Anywho, gonna try and see if I can't set up a tutoring gig with this guy. I already
have one fluent friend who I can at least bounce my phrases off. I know when I'm being
understood, but saying anything that comes to my mind is obviously harder. That's why I
need to start practicing now and ironing my mistakes out.

Es todo para hoy, hasta pronto!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5207 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 14 of 22
09 April 2012 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Gatsby42 wrote:

I speak Albanian on top of Spanish and lately I've been noticing that when I try and
speak Albanian, my Spanish leaks into it. ><

Either way, keep up the good work. I'm sure your log will serve as inspiration to me
throughout the year. You've also made me pretty curious about Asimil.

Are you from Albania? Or your parents?

I have a bunch of friends from the Balkans, and I've really gotten interested in the history and cultures of the area. My interest originally stemmed from making Bosnian friends at my last job, and then deciding to learn their language. It goes beyond that now, though. There seems to be so much history and so many cultures in such a (relatively) small area. It's really fascinating.

Gatsby42
Groupie
Joined 4453 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 15 of 22
09 April 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
My parents were from Albania, or more specifically, they're Albanians from
Macedonia.

I can't speak for anybody other than Albanians, but Albanians in particular do have a
very rich history that they happen to be very proud of. As far as cultural diversity, I
have been able to travel to both Macedonia and Albania and did see a lot of
interesting things; met interesting people.

I'm not too interested in my heritage or it's history though. I learned Albanian as a
kid, I can't even read or write with it. I just have around B2ish listening
comprehension and B1ish speaking level. I only want to learn it just because I already
know so much, seems like I wouldn't need to study too long to reach speaking fluency.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5207 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 16 of 22
09 April 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
That's kind of how I feel about my French right now. It's at a decent enough level that I should put that "little extra effort" into it so I can claim that I speak it without embarrassing myself.

My heritage is all Dutch, but it's a few generations back, and I don't have a lot of interest in it, either. I think my fascination with the Balkans has more to do with the fact that it's exotic (to me). And anything exotic is fun to me. =)

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version