Kugel
United States
Joined 6297 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 33 of 50
11 May 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Hopefully, such a language academy would be located in East Asia. The costs for
instruction would simply be too high in NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. I'd imagine the same
applies for Western Europe.

China would be a great choice because of its reputation of the language schools being
corrupt, so then maybe PIFLSS would attract the English speakers who don't want to deal
with the headaches of Chinese bureaucracy. Then again, living in a state where google is
banned would be a bummer.     
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 34 of 50
11 May 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Not quite so. Rent in the center of Berlin for example is roughly a third of what you'd pay in San Francisco.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 36 of 50
12 May 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Sorry, but...
1. America is known for having a population that doesn't care so much about becoming polyglots, it's a
hobby at best rather than a necessity. Meanwhile in Europe and Asia people are ready to spend big bucks
on promising programs. EU also heavily subsidizes programs that aim to make the dream of multilingual
Europe come true.

2. True, but NY is also so expensive that people typically cannot afford to stay for more than a few days.
There are other hubs.

3. WTH?? Have you tried walking around a Western European major city??? There isn't a day that I don't
hear French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Polish, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese and a selection of
smaller languages, all without seeking them out. The parade of foreign culture groups living in Berlin at the
Carnival of Cultures lasts 5 hours just to watch them go by. NY may still have an advantage when it comes
to small tribal languages, but not European ones.

4. The average Berlin kiosk has up-to-date newspapers in at least 8 languages. For books, see my list of
recommended Berlin bookstores in the Bookstores subforum.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4648 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 37 of 50
12 May 2012 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
In either the video or the website the professor mentions that he envisions a retreat-
type environment. That would seem to rule out Berlin or NYC.

I'm picturing a mountain top village in Crete. Or maybe some abandoned Byzantine
monastery.

And oh, David! On my last trip to Rome my housemates (I rented a room) were from Brazil
and Ecuador, there were Chinese nuns at the hospital across the street, and the guys at
the kiosks on the street were North African. I heard five languages each morning just in
our little block.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5488 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 38 of 50
12 May 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
In Babel No More Prof. Arguelles said that he was considering an abandoned seminary. At least that was the location he shared with Dr. Erard. I think it was somewhere in California, which may be a good location, because CA is one of the most racially diverse places in the US.

Somewhere in continental Europe in what would be considered a mid-sized city in the US (population <100,000) might be a good location. It would be away from the busyness of a big city, but it would presumably have enough of a diverse population nearby that native speakers of different languages would be available.

Is Prof. Arguelles thinking about bringing in local native speakers for the students to practice with? Sort of like exchanging free room and board for a few days in exchange for chatting with the students?

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version