Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 101
17 June 2012 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Félicitations ! C'est chouette.

sillygoose1 wrote:
So in a little under two months it will be time to go right into
Using French which will be the only studying I do, then Business French. Other than
that, I plan to listen to radio, but no other formal study. The movies and shows will
not come until I am finished all of my course materials. I wanted to do French Without
Toil but it would take longer than I need.

I'm not sure if I should try sharedtalk/lang-8 until after I'm done Using/Business or
not. For anyone reading this, what do you recommend?

I enthusiastically recommend lang-8 when you finish the active wave. Assimil's a great
course, but it can leave you with slightly shaky grammar. So it's great to slow down
your output and get it carefully checked over by a native. You'll discover lots of
little glitches here and there, and you'll fix them quickly.

I spent 30 days writing ~100 words per day at lang-8, and it did wonders for my
grammar, spelling and writing ability. Every time you get corrected, figure out why. Do
your best to get stuff correct the first time, even if that means writing fewer words.

Other than that, don't hesitate to dig around for really interesting native materials,
especially books, magazines or BDs. One or two well-chosen books and another 1,000
words of vocabulary will open up whole words of stuff to you.

Bon courage !
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 26 of 101
17 June 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for kind words and for putting that into perspective better for me.

How did you figure out what to write about with lang-8? Or did you mainly just wing it?

Also, are there any books you would recommend or would any Albert Camus novel do?

Thanks again!
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 101
17 June 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
Thank you for kind words and for putting that into perspective
better for me.

Hey, I'm just making this up as I go along, so take my advice with a grain of salt, and
do whatever works for you. ;-)

sillygoose1 wrote:
How did you figure out what to write about with lang-8? Or did you
mainly just wing it?

I wrote a lot of diary entries, which helped me learn any specialized vocab needed to
describe my daily activities. When I was feeling more ambitious, I'd write about
slightly more abstract subjects, or occasionally mess around with some point of
grammar.

I tried to write very accurately, and made heavy use of Google, Linguee and the
BonPatron grammar checker before posting.

sillygoose1 wrote:
Also, are there any books you would recommend or would any Albert
Camus novel do?

Ideally, you want something that you can't put down. The first couple of books are slow
going, so you want any help you can get. For some people, this means fascinating non-
fiction. For others this means a cliff-hanger plot. Is there a French book you've
always wanted to read? An English book that you've practically memorized?

You may need to try 5 different books before one "clicks" for you. I think this is
normal. :-)

I used an ultralight mechanical pencil to underline words, and looked some of them up
later. To avoid looking the same words up 20 times, I turned the interesting ones into
SRS cards.

The Kindle apps have a built-in native French dictionary. It's pretty difficult as
native dictionaires go, but it's only a single finger-tap away.

Oh, one other thing, when you're picking books: Don't be afraid of the passé
simple
. It works just like the passé composé (j'ai mangé), except it's
conjugated with a very regular set of endings (je mangea, for example), and you only
need to know the third person. We're basically talking about 4 endings and ~20
irregular stems.

Many English-speaking French teachers call the passé simple a "literary tense."
In fact, it's the standard "narrative" tense for modern French fiction. If you buy,
say, a crime thriller in an airport, it's extremely likely to use the passé
simple
. Same goes for Harry Potter, science fiction, fairy tales and
certainly anything published by a classic author.

So if you see an otherwise fascinating book, and discover that it uses the passé
simple
, don't let this discourage you. The learning curve is tiny, and if you read
fiction, you'll use this skill constantly.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 28 of 101
18 June 2012 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Thanks again for the advice. I'm not sure if I have quite enough money to spend on buying 5 books to find one I like, so I think I'll play it safe with L'Etranger and other Camus books because I hear good things.

One small update that got me a lot more excited to just finish my Active Wave in two days and move on to Using French is the fact that I randomly listened to French talk show radio. I was able to understand 80% of it after listening to it for 5 minutes until it was dinner time. They were talking about how you should listen to their show, and a bit about politics. I remember a few months ago, I could barely understand anything. Also, they were talking fast too. I'm just going to continue my plan with one lesson per day though plus Linguaphone.

I think what helped me the most was the fact that I never moved on from an Assimil lesson until I could understand at least 95% of the lesson without looking at the text. I would just keep playing it over and over and over.

I also watched a little series on YouTube called Le Quebecois parle aux Francais. I didn't catch as much, but I think that is definitely attributed to the Quebecois accent and the fact that I have no exposure to it.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 18 June 2012 at 4:50am

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 29 of 101
18 June 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Sounds like you are making great progress with Assimil! I know I would be overjoyed if I could understand 80% of talk radio. I still listen sometimes anyway even though I get only a little fraction of it. :-)

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 101
18 June 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
Thanks again for the advice. I'm not sure if I have quite enough money
to spend on buying 5 books to find one I like, so I think I'll play it safe with
L'Etranger and other Camus books because I hear good things.

Good point. If you want cheap French books, there's also a ton of free 100-year-old
classics available from the Gutenberg Project and on the Kindle. Also look for your local
Alliance Française—if you live near Boston, for example, you have access to a huge
library.

Bon courage !

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 31 of 101
18 June 2012 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions - Yeah, it was a great feeling knowing that all the work I put into studying each day for almost 6 months now, paid off. Huge motivation booster. Keep studying though and the results will come even though it seems like forever.

emk - Holy smokes, there is an Alliance Francaise about 30 minutes from me. What do you do there? Are they classes or just a place to converse? Do I have to pay for a Membership if I don't want to take classes? Also that Gutenberg Project website is great. So many books!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 101
18 June 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
emk - Holy smokes, there is an Alliance Francaise about 30 minutes
from me. What do you do there? Are they classes or just a place to converse? Do I have
to pay for a Membership if I don't want to take classes? Also that Gutenberg Project
website is great. So many books!

The Alliance Française is basically a giant international club of people who love the
French language and French culture. There's something like 3000 local chapters
throughout the world.

The smallest chapters typically have small libraries, regular cultural events, weekly
lunches where people speak French, and other stuff like that. A really big chapter,
like the French Cultural Center in Boston, may have an enormous library of books and
films, extensive classes, DELF and DALF exams, summer camps for kids—you name it.

As for fees, that depends on the local chapter, though they usually have student
memberships and stuff like that. It's a mostly volunteer operation.

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version