United States
Joined 4421 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 33 of 101
02 July 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Haven't written here in awhile.

Anyway, the next month and a half is going to be hectic for me. I'm doing 5 Summer classes for university which is all crammed into one and a half months compared to the amount I'm used to of three.

Here is my plan for now:

-Do 4-5 Active Assimil lessons a day in NFWE. This will be easy to do on the weekends and during the first week of classes. I should be finished within a week.

-After Assimil, finish Linguaphone. I won't be able to do two courses simultaneously anymore from what I can tell, but we'll see what happens.

-During my Summer sessions and after I complete these two, I will keep French up to date by occasional use of lyricstraining.com along with reading a grammar book and playing with French people in video games sometimes.

-After my Summer classes, I have two weeks until I begin another five classes in the Fall. During those two weeks, I will begin Using French and I will do everything else according to plan.

-By the time I'm finished Using French and doing some lang-8 and sharedtalk, I will begin my next language which right now is either German or Italian sided with some dabbling in Latin. Business French will be a once in awhile thing since each lesson is like 5-6 minutes long.

As you can see, there are a lot of short term goals, but also a good amount of long term which can change a lot. One thing is for sure, some days I'm motivated and some days are blah, but by now it's such a habit that I still study everyday for at least 15 minutes.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 02 July 2012 at 1:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4421 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 34 of 101
02 July 2012 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if it's because I'm rushing through the Active wave or not, but I kind of noticed it before. Translating is really starting to get discouraging. The English translations to me are just too broad so when I think of a word then look, it's not the right one. Also, the way the English is worded. When I see something like "will begin", I automatically think of tu veux, but then it's actually "commencera." For this reason, I'm not going to bother translating anymore. Lesson 89 is the last lesson. I'm going to treat the active wave as sort of a refresher of the passive wave.

I didn't "assimilate" my native tongue by translating. :P

Assimil is still great though and if anyone that doesn't know whether to get it or not based on my post here, just get it. It's fantastic.

Also, I can see why certain people don't like to do the active wave at all.

Oh well. I'm really in the mood to study now so I'm thinking about knocking out the rest of these lessons then tomorrow I will just take it easy and do some writings or something. It turns out I might not be able to graduate early because of how the school works, so if that's the case I'll drop the Summer down to 2 classes so I'll have a lot of free time which means I can begin Using French.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 02 July 2012 at 9:49pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 101
02 July 2012 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
One thing is for sure, some days I'm motivated and some days are
blah, but by now it's such a habit that I still study everyday for at least 15 minutes.

That 15-minute habit is so amazingly useful—I've done a little bit of French every day
since the fall of 2007. And even when I spent two years massively obsessed with other
things, those few minutes a day kept my French from decaying. (That and some totally
passive input, just hearing French.) So when I was ready to brush my French off and
start making a big push, it took me maybe a week to get back up to speed, and I was
better than I was before.

If you treasure and cherish that habit, you can take your French as far as you want.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4421 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 36 of 101
03 July 2012 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I admit it's one of the better habits I've developed. I just feel like that if I miss day, that's one day shorter it will take me to get to that B2/C1 level. That's what has pretty much been keeping me going.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4421 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 37 of 101
03 July 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Just completed New French With Ease. Still have 5 lessons to go in Linguaphone.

Overall, I'd say NFWE definitely got me to a B1 level. I feel as though I'm able to converse about everyday things and understand the speaker given they don't use too much slang. Assimil's claim for B2 is very exaggerated and I think that no matter how well you know the vocab in NFWE, it isn't enough. Still a great program though, and I'm certainly going to be purchasing it again.

I know the gap between B1 and B2 is pretty wide, but I think with another 4 months of study/reading/watching movies and tv I can get there.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4421 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 38 of 101
05 July 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
It's so difficult using sites like sharedtalk.

So many people message me because they want to learn English, then if I find someone to speak French with me, it lasts for 2 sentences until I make my first mistake then the whole conversation is English.

I need to find an alternative...

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4421 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 39 of 101
05 July 2012 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
I retract my statement about sharedtalk.

The problem is when I find people who speak English better than I speak French. I was able to have some back and forth conversations today with my only problem being to look up conjugations which I still need work on.

I downloaded TONS of audiobooks!!!

My French is feeling great right now, my basic conversation skills are fantastic.

Tomorrow, I start Using French. I'm really excited about my audiobooks so I will be doing both at the same time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4421 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 40 of 101
06 July 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 1 of Using French - done!

I'm happy university worked out this way so I won't be as busy. I'm looking to be able to watch French tv shows and movies without subtitles by Christmas break because I've seen just about every American show/movie I wanted to already and I need a way to keep myself occupied for those 3 weeks and plus French subtitles can be hard to find.

I've been going on sharedtalk. People keep wanting me to speak English to them, so I end up having conversations in English. I really wish I could find French speakers like the one I was talking with the other day who only spoke to me in French.

Also, I've been asking people how they go about learning English. Most of them don't even use books which surprised me. They said they learn from writing in chats, forums, and watching TV shows. This gave me a new found courage to start earlier than expected.

Looking to tackle either Le Petit Prince or L'etranger over the weekend. I have both on audio so that's a plus! It must be weird listening to the passe simple n audio form though which is apparently in Le Petit Prince.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 06 July 2012 at 11:46pm

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version