Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4862 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 17 of 24
23 March 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Some very fine literature was written in Russian. People who learn the language for its literature usually mention authors like Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and to a lesser extent Bulgakov, as their main sources of motivation. That's good and all, but there are so many others, particularly during the Soviet period.

I remember reading that Rilke said he found his spiritual homeland in Russia during his visit there at the turn of the 20th century. Something about the russische Seele... He sure got a good dose of it later on in his correspondence with Tsvetaeva.

Anyway... As bad as translations can be, try reading a few to see which literary tradition attracts you the most.

Edited by espejismo on 23 March 2012 at 4:22am

3 persons have voted this message useful

blauw
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5183 days ago

46 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: English, Flemish*, French, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 24
02 April 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
Iversen wrote:

The only problem is that there are languages where the silence is mysteriously roaring. For instance I can't mention one single Dutch author, maybe because I had stopped reading literature before I got interested in learning the language. But then I should have seen a lot of books in translation, and I haven't - haven't the Dutch got literature or haven't Danish translators cared about translating them?

After searching my brain for quite a while I could only remember the name of two Dutch authors, Cees Nooteboom and Hugo Claus (who was Belgian). I know parts of their works have been translated into English and French, but I cannot say for other languages.

Some of my favourites: Willem Elsschot, Jotie T'Hooft, Louis-Paul Boon and Guido Gezelle. These were all Flemish writers.

Other authors who are usually considered great Dutch writers are Jan Wolkers, Gerard Reve, Harry Mulisch, Maarten 't Hart, Arnon Grunberg, Willem Kloos, Vondel, Louis Couperus, and Multatuli. Cyriel Buysse was the most important author of Flemish naturalism.

If anyone is interested, here are some of my favourite poems:

http://www.let.rug.nl/vannoord/huwelijk.html (Elsschot)

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dien_Avond_en_die_Rooze (Gezelle)

http://4umi.com/kloos/god (Kloos)

Edited by blauw on 02 April 2012 at 6:46pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4322 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 19 of 24
27 July 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
I've been always an eager reader. In my opinion, nobody is able to say if one particular literature is the best for sure. And if it would, the quality and length of the works depends tremendously on how many people speak a determined language and what kind of culture(s) they have. So probably we should keep that in mind when analysing the works.

So, after this comment and after have read books from many different countries and languages (although the most in my mother tongue), I'd say the best fiction literature is the one made in Spanish... but from Latin America. Although I'm from Spain and the literature from my country is really good, I'm attached to Latin American's one. However, I'd also say that French literature is very very close to it. But, of course, it's an opinion.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5890 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 24
27 July 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Choosing the best literature objective is obviously impossible, but that doesn't mean people's opinions shouldn't be of interest - I've found this thread very interesting to read!

Of Norwegian authors I'd warmly recommend Gert Nygårdshaug, especially his series beginning with "Mengele Zoo". His books are extremely well researched, and often take place in Latin America. Great books.

I've just started dipping into French literature with L'Etranger, and while I love the writing style there's a long way to go before I become properly familiar with French literature. I'm looking forward to it though!

jsg
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4318 days ago

30 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 21 of 24
28 July 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Mandarin is my only experience with learning additional languages, however as a fan of chinese television and film in gerneral, and martial arts in particular, some literature that fascinates me is:
水浒传 (Water Margin), 三国演义 (Romance of the Three Kingdoms), and 孫子兵法 (The Art of War).

Of course there is a lot more to Chinese literature than books about war and novels about kung fu and great warriors. Chinese Literature spans thousands of years and has great masterpieces in a number of genres.

To whet your appetite you could begin by taking a peek at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_literature

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 22 of 24
29 July 2012 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
That's good and all, but there are so many others, particularly during the Soviet period.

My guess as to why people often cite the 19th century authors is because the novel as a literary form
reached its full maturity in that century, with the French and Russian novelists probably being the top at the
time.

Edited by frenkeld on 29 July 2012 at 4:52pm

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4449 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 23 of 24
07 August 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Reading literature is certainly a highlight for me when it comes to learning languages.

I love Spanish literature - some of my favorite authors already mentioned by other members. French is also awesome.

However, I also love Arabic literature. The language has no less of a literary tradition than most European languages and it's absolutely fascinating reading because of how different Arabic writing styles can be, especially when it comes to classical literature. I love the poetry of Nizar Qabbani, Imru al-Qays, Adonis, and so on; the stories of Naguib Mahfouz, Haidar Haidar, Zuhair Jabbour, and so on.

Contrary to popular belief, not all Arabic literature revolves around religion. It's truly a shame how many people I've met that say they weren't interested in the language simply because they thought, "there's only the Holy Qur'an and other religious texts". The truth is that there is a treasure trove of literature in Arabic that has little to do with religion, and there are several genres one could explore. There are indeed some stories that explore areas that one would initially assume as "taboo" in the Arab world.

Persian literature is also fantastic. The poetry of Rumi, Ferdowsi, and Hafiz is spectacular and even better in the original language than in most translations I've read. It's one of the main reasons I studied Persian, and I have no regrets.

I look forward to exploring Portuguese literature.

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 24 of 24
07 August 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Since we are no longer talking about the "best language", but simply good examples in
various languages, then for German, although it's taken me some time to be able to read
and appreciate him properly, Theodor Fontane is superb.

One also cannot ignore Thomas Mann, and although I have not read him yet, his brother
Heinrich Mann should also be worth exploring.

In post-WW2 years, of course Heinrich Böll and Günther Grass are perhaps the best
known,
or for something a little lighter, I enjoy Erich Kästner.

I've tried to read Christa Wolf, but find her quite difficult for some reason. I need
to try reading her in translation I think, and see if that helps.

Edited by montmorency on 07 August 2012 at 11:50pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version