France
Joined 4438 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 1 of 8
22 March 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

What are the best self-study courses for learning Russian? I am currently using Colloquial Russian and is about half-way through. I find the textbook nice, but the tapes annoy me a bit, since there is a lot of English talk on them, and all the texts are not reproduced. I also have an old Soviet-era Linguaphone course (from Swedish) which I use to supplement not lesat because all texts and dialogues are recorded.

Now I feel I am advancing fast enough to supplement with other material. What would you recommend. Assimil? Others?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 8
22 March 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
If you're willing to spend the cash, the new English Assimil is something I'm currently using that is worth looking into (the Russian with Ease)(if your French or German is good enough you could stick to those).

I own Teach Yourself: Complete Russian, but since that series functions a lot like Colloquial, it will irritate you. I would say Assimil is complementary. I have not used FSI or a Pimsleur/MT method, which someone will inevitably mention but since the audio-only courses don't suit my style at all it's not something I'm experienced with.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5950 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 8
22 March 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
A quick review of some of the courses I've used.

Modern Russian 1 - Very thorough FSI style course. Audio quality is a bit of a problem on some lessons. Dates from 1970's.

TY Complete Russian - Good, but as mentioned, there's a lot of audio on the recordings.

Living Language Ultimate Russian - Good, but not very enjoyable. Print quality isn't great.

Linguaphone Russian - Extremely good course. If I could go back in time, I would've picked this first. Also dates from 1970's but with really crisp audio.

Assimil Russian - Just purchased so I've not really used it much. It seems good with crisp audio and good explanations.

Penguin New Russian Course. Very good course but no audio.

Berlitz Essential Russian. Very fast paced course after lesson 5. I'd find it difficult to use to learn Russian properly.

Routledge Intensive Russian course. Designed for college study. Very expensive considering the audio is only 2 CD's. Answer key is available online.

Edited by DaraghM on 22 March 2012 at 4:04pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4438 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 5 of 8
22 March 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you tarvos and DaraghM for your tips.

Has anyone any experience with Rosetta Stone? A colleague recommended the courses but they are quite expensive, and I wonder how much added value it can bring?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 8
25 March 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Much more expensive, and from what I understand (I don't use RS) their method isn't as good as any of the other things mentioned in this thread. I think Assimil or FSI/audio-methods would offer you more bang for your buck (although Pimsleur is quite expensive too)

Edited by tarvos on 25 March 2012 at 9:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 7 of 8
27 March 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Don't forget the superb Princeton Russian Course by David Freedel.
PRC in Google
PRC here at HTLAL

Edited by mrwarper on 27 March 2012 at 2:56am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4855 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 8 of 8
27 March 2012 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:

Penguin New Russian Course. Very good course but no audio.

But the orthography and pronunciation are explained in such a way that it is hard to
believe that the author knows Russian. And the transcription is terrible.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version