mystimoon
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4437 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Irish

Message 1 of 6
26 March 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I am trying to learn Irish but since I live in Canada, it is hard for me to get exposure
to the language. Does anyone have suggestions on what programs work best for Irish. I was
thinking of subscribing to Talk Irish but I wasn't sure how well it worked for others. I
want either standard Irish or the Ulster dialect, please.

Thanks for your suggestions
1 person has voted this message useful

squonk
Groupie
United States
Joined 4557 days ago

44 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish

Message 2 of 6
26 March 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I can't speak to talkirish.com, but I can certainly recommend Buntús Cainte (with the
accompanying CDs!) which is widely available. It gives bite-size lessons with
illustrative example sentences and dialogues. I prefer my grammar rules explicitly
stated, so I use BC in concert with a good grammar book or two. Again, make sure you
get the CDs -- Irish has a really crazy phonology and orthography, and you will need
all the help you can get! The CDs are clear, and you will hear a native accent rather
than "school Irish." It's not Ulster dialect though; it's standard, leaning toward
Connemara, I believe.

I also recommend you post your question at sites more specialized than HTLAL. Both the
Daltaí na Gaeilge forums and the Irish Learners' Forum are populated by plenty of
experienced Irish learners and expert Irish users.

Ádh mór!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4768 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 3 of 6
26 March 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Linguaphone Irish is pretty good IMO. Also I liked Learning Irish with Mícheál Ó
Siadhail.

Enkidu
Bilingual Triglot
Ireland
Joined 4903 days ago

3 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 6
06 April 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi mystimoon,

I speak a near Ulster dialect (not quite pure Ulster). There are very few texts
on the dialect at the beginner level as far as I'm aware. Now there are some very good books on the dialect such as "An Teanga Bheo: Gaeilge Uladh", but these could only be used at the intermediate stage. If you can get your hand on it "Now You're Talking" or "Irish on your own" are probably the best books on Ulster Irish at a beginner level.

One thing I would say however is that you shouldn't learn Standard Irish. There is no way to pronounce it and the grammar is somewhat artificial and ahistorical. Anybody I know who learnt Irish well learnt a dialect. For Munster Irish the best book would be the 1961,1977 Teach Yourself Irish (not the new one) which is available for free on the internet. (I'll provide a link if you want, the download is legal as the publishers have given permission for a free pdf to be made available). For Connacht it would be without a doubt Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 5 of 6
06 April 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
squonk wrote:
Irish has a really crazy phonology and orthography, and you will need
all the help you can get!

Not crazier than English.

Enkidu
Bilingual Triglot
Ireland
Joined 4903 days ago

3 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 6 of 6
06 April 2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Since squonk mentioned it, I should say that Buntús Cainte is essentially
Connacht speach, but standardised somewhat in grammar.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version