Canada
Joined 5072 days ago

81 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 9 of 18
29 March 2012 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
The following are not free, but they are not terribly expensive, either:

Living French, Living German, Living Italian, Living Spanish.

(Note that these are not part of the "Living Language" series. This is a different set of books.) These are more traditional grammar-based courses, with each chapter including grammar, vocabulary, a reading passage, and exercise. Answers to exercises are at the back, and there is also an audio cd with some (though not all) of the reading passages recorded.

They were first published in the period 1949-1961, and have been officially "updated" several times. But upon comparing various editions, I think the material in them has hardly changed over the decades.

On the other hand, these are grammar-based courses, whereas you appear to prefer something more along the lines of Assimil or Linguaphone. If that's the case, maybe you could consider buying a newer Assimil course, e.g., "Italian with Ease", as a complement to the older "without Toil" course.
3 persons have voted this message useful

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4451 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 10 of 18
29 March 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
I have tried a lot of Italian programmes myself over last few months. FSI Italian Fast ( which is free online ) is a good source, Linguaphone All Talk for Italian is not "bad" however i am not sure if its worth the money spent. I am also using Assimil Italian with Ease, Italian with Michel Thomas ( foundation ) and Pimsleur Italian I-II-III. I can recommend them all but have to say Michel Thomas one is not so good in terms of prononciation and does not really follow the same linear approach as others; it is good as a supplementary programm though.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 18
29 March 2012 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
I sooo don't recommend Pimsleur for anything but German in this case.
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5252 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 18
29 March 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
dambros wrote:
Regarding the Linguaphone Courses, are the AllTalk ones worth the money? Or should I
stick with the old ones?

I've never tried AllTalk, but I have my doubts about them. I was thinking about the old ones.

dambros wrote:
The same question above for the Teach Yourself Series.

I have only used the old ones (grammar-translation based). I think they can serve as a nice complement to other
courses, such as Assimil . The new ones seem to have a lot of "fill in the blanks" and puzzles, and I'm personally not
a fan of such an approach

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5468 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 18
29 March 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
dambros wrote:

Regarding the Linguaphone Courses, are the AllTalk ones worth the money? Or should I
stick with the old ones?

The first four discs of the AllTalk French course came free with an English newspaper a few years ago, presumably to encourage people to buy the whole set.

It was a story - mostly in English - of a bewildered English businessman visiting a tradeshow in Paris, and flirting gently with a French colleague. I suppose the storyline was meant to keep you interested. However, since the English businessman was a beginner, his occasional lessons in French in the series were on pretty trivial topics.

In contrast, the older book-and-tape based Linguaphone French course went into much more details.

If you are a serious language learner, I would stick to the older course. If, however, you only want a few tourist phrases, and you want to keep things light and easy, then the AllTalk course would be more suitable.

dambros
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4429 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 14 of 18
29 March 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Thanks again for all replies.

Regarding the Linguaphones courses I was expecting and afraid you guys would say to stick
with the old ones. Finding them are incredible hard. I was really lucky to get my hands
into the German one (Kursus + Handbook). I found a french one but only the Cours de
Français.

Same thing with the Teach Tourself series. The only ones I found was from 1998 :/

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5868 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 15 of 18
29 March 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
French In Action (FIA)
frenchpod