Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 5
31 March 2012 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Just got my first android phone today, and my first download was ankidroid. However, using it has been a frustrating experience. It is possibly the most non-intuitive software I've tried to use (but this might simply be because it's the first android software I've used). For example, there doesn't seem to be a homepage as such, unless you count "all decks" at a homepage. it took me a while to figure out how to download a deck, and somehow I downloaded extra decks by accident. Now I can't figure out how to delete a deck. I downloaded a deck with audio (Beginner French with Audio I), but clicking the sound link doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, for once I get the hang of using it, could anyone suggest good French decks for starting out? I like the idea of decks with sound, and pictures if possible. But, basically, I'd like a deck of the most frequent French words.

Thanks for any help you can give!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 2 of 5
31 March 2012 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
I thought maybe adding decks with Ankiweb would be easier, but I can't even find the option to add decks there! Gah!

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 3 of 5
31 March 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
To remove a deck, in the list of all your decks, do a long press on the deck, and new options will appear.
It may simply be that you're not familiar with Android, cause a lot of applications have extra options using long press... not that it's intuitive, indeed.

To deal with your decks, you can use your computer and Anki, it is more convenient to add and edit cards, and you can use synchronization to do the bridge with your phone.

edit: and you can use the edit button (as I do!) to edit your post rather than double-posting! :)

Edited by vermillon on 31 March 2012 at 3:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Nicolas Raoul
Triglot
Japan
nrw.free.fr
Joined 4430 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Korean

Message 4 of 5
02 April 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi Jeffers!

Sorry that your first experience with AnkiDroid has been frustrating.
You can consider "all decks" as a homepage if you want. Actually, in the next version
(2.0) it will really be the homepage.

Deck operations are available via long-press, as vermillon said.

There are tens of French decks, I am sure one of them will fit your needs.
An ulterior version will include decks ratings/feedback:
http://beta.ankiweb.net/shared/decks/french

Sounds and pictures are possible.

To add a deck, go to the All Decks screens, press MENU then "Create deck".

Cheers!
Nicolas Raoul
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 5 of 5
02 April 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help. Having used ankidroid for a few days now, it is beginning to make more sense to
me. The long click works well, now that I know about it.

I found two good decks for French. I am using the Assimil deck, reversed so I am translating English to
French. The other deck is for gcse. What I particularly like about it is that in the one deck it has each
fact in both directions.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version