Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 41 of 65
19 April 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
That got me thinking of a polyglot whose video I can't find. Either he was masked or he spoke off-camera with a somewhat distorted voice (reminding me of Jigsaw in the Saw movies...). Does anyone know which clip I'm thinking of? He spoke half a dozen languages including English, Spanish and Nahuatl (or Quechua). Any ideas?
I know exactly who you're thinking of, his YouTube name is MiztonPixan and the video is called My Passion For Languages (In Seven Languages).

Edited by mick33 on 19 April 2012 at 10:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6694 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 65
19 April 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
There it is! Thanks Mick!
1 person has voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4409 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 43 of 65
20 April 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Oh that one is cool! well, I vow that once i get to a stage where I feel comfortable with my french to do a
video, I will. AND I SHALL BE MASKED :P

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5046 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 44 of 65
02 May 2012 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
I was going to post the YouTube channel of a female polyglot who is very good and who provided a lot of interesting lessons (katrudy7). Unfortunately, I discovered that her channel has been deleted

She's now back with a new channel and has also resurrected many of her older videos. Glad to have her back as I always liked to watch her videos.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6694 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 65
02 May 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing - I've never seen her videos before!

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5880 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 46 of 65
02 May 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I had this new female polyglot brought to my attention recently when the link to a
YouTube video was posted on my Facebook
page. I am not sure of her name, so for now I think the link is best suited to this thread. I hope you enjoy it! :)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 47 of 65
03 May 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
It is quite interesting that 'MoonshineV' is so focused on Asian languages (which she apparently has studied in situ through a series of one month immersion courses). I didn't understand a thing of what she said in those languages, but it sounded convincingly enough. With the European languages I'm better equipped, and even though she downplayed her skills in French, Spanish and Afrikaans she certainly could use those languages in a natural way.

I was puzzled by the very 'pinched' voice she used for her Vietnamese demonstration (at least for some of it), but maybe it was meant as a parody of foreigners speaking Vietnamese?

Small things like her trouble when she tried to switch to Arabic indicate that this wasn't a rehearsed performance, but a genuine expression of her skills here and now. All in all I was more impressed with this apparently improvised video than with many more polished multilingual videos. I just wish that I could have understood more of it.

Edited by Iversen on 03 May 2012 at 10:11am

3 persons have voted this message useful

zdri
United States
Joined 6064 days ago

29 posts - 74 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 48 of 65
13 May 2012 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
How many women know 11 or more languages? I ask because 11 is the number Erard chose to distinguish hyerpolyglots from everyone else.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version