Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
65 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 8 9 Next >>

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 65
01 April 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Since this video (Encouraging women to learn foreign languages and show their language skills)
has been posted I have been thinking about the possible reasons why there are so few videos of female polyglots on Youtube showing their skills.
As we have many distinguished female polyglots in this forum, I would like to ask you ladies directly: Why wouldn't you upload a video showing your
language abilities (as many male fellow language learners do)?
Those who do have a Youtube channel, a blog, etc.: What kind of feedback did you get? And if it was your case too, how did you overcome being camera
shy? Are there differences in the reception of female polyglots in the community?

Please guys, don't be offended. This is not a campaign against male polyglots. I'm just trying to find out the reasons for the mentioned phenomenon.
Everyone is invited to participate in the discussion. Thanks in advance for your comments.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 65
01 April 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
I have a Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/Sprachprofi/videos and
the reactions have all been positive.
10 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 65
01 April 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
When did you decide/what made you decide to start making videos about your language abilities?

Edited by Mae on 01 April 2012 at 4:37pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 65
01 April 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Mae wrote:
When did you decide/what made you decide to start making videos about your
language abilities?

There are several reasons for me to make Youtube videos:
1. to have a point of comparison for my abilities in each language, because written
descriptions in my logs only go so far
2. to answer other people's requests
3. to teach others

My first video (12 langs in 6 minutes, dating April 2010) was for the first reason.
Same for the Chinese video I posted this January. I guess you could file my "Pourquoi
est-ce que j'apprends les langues" video and the 20-hour Finnish video in that
category, too, except that I wouldn't have recorded them if not prompted by others
(Arekkusu and Benny). Arekkusu wanted me to record some French in order to be able to
help me with my accent, and I thought that I might as well make it public, while Benny
said people shouldn't criticize his 2-week video unless they also recorded themselves
at an early stage of learning. I think you cannot really forbid criticism if you're
going public with something, but I also think it's a good idea to encourage people to
post early videos of their language learning, to get a better idea for their approach
and journey.

I published two videos with the idea of teaching others, the "Where is Esperanto
spoken?" and "Svahila Kurseto" (a mini-course of Swahili), but most of my videos are
introspective and not intended for a large audience.

My most recent video, about the Aligatorejo, is multilingual again and can serve as
another point of comparison. I didn't intend anything with it, I was just giddy that
night and wanted to keep switching languages.

Maybe I'm not a good model for your call for more female polyglots on Youtube, because
I don't regularly post stuff there, I'm not looking to show off or to collect a large
following, just posting for myself or posting if I cannot keep something inside.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 01 April 2012 at 9:52pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6679 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 65
01 April 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I was going to post the YouTube channel of a female polyglot who is very good and who provided a lot of interesting lessons (katrudy7). Unfortunately, I discovered that her channel has been deleted (possibly because she was being harassed by a certain infamous autistic polyglot). There is another female polyglot (NaomiChambers) who was also harassed by him, but she posted a scathing video about him and he has left her alone and her channel is still on-line. Perhaps unwanted sexual harassment unfortunately plays a part in the dearth of female polyglots on YT.

Edited by translator2 on 01 April 2012 at 10:56pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 65
02 April 2012 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the input. So we have the first reasons why to post videos: to keep track of what we're doing, to answer requests and to teach others. (PROs)

Sprachprofi wrote:
I'm not looking to show off or to collect a large following, just posting for myself or posting if I cannot keep something inside.

Well, generally I don't assume that people post videos just to show off or to collect a large number of followers. Who would start learning languages just to compete anyway? :-D

translator2 wrote:
Perhaps unwanted sexual harassment unfortunately plays a part in the dearth of female polyglots on YT.

Unfortunately this might be one of the reasons why females wouldn't post videos... (CONs)

Edited by Mae on 02 April 2012 at 10:31am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 65
02 April 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
I am not sure that I qualify as a distinguished female polyglot, but I have considered making videos. The
main reasons why I have not is that I am a technical analphabet and that I do not know whether I am thick
skinned enough for responses like " Your Russian accent is terrible", " You're old and fat" or whatever the
good followers of the YouTube channel would throw my way. When I first saw Fasulye's videos a couple of
years ago I felt really inspired, but knowing how much garbage a lot of the other posters have got keeps
me hesitant.

But the main obstacle is the technical one. I do not know how to take videos, and much less how to publish
them. I know of course, that once you learn it, it is a piece of cake.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 02 April 2012 at 10:57am

8 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5829 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 8 of 65
02 April 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
Perhaps unwanted sexual harassment unfortunately plays a part in the dearth of female polyglots on YT.

it could be one of the main reasons but there are lots and lots of women posting videos -having big youtube channels- so it seems to be is not the real one, the ONE reason, we're looking for

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version